Thirty-four

November 8th
9:39am
Studio city, California

When Hazel woke up the next morning it was from the front door closing loudly. Groaning, she rolled over to see Zach sleeping right beside her- a large smile plastered over his lips as his arms wrapped around her. Everything about this moment felt right to her.

Picking up her phone from the nightstand her eyes widened as she read her fathers message, that was him who had just walked through the door.

Sliding out of Zach's arms as quickly as possible without waking him up, she threw out a cardigan to cover her bare shoulders and ran downstairs, almost beating her father to the kitchen.

His tall figure was pouring a cup of coffee as Hazel slid onto the breakfast bar stool without making a sound- but some how he still knew she was there.

"Hope I didn't miss your friend"he said playfully as he turned around- meeting her eyes.

"No dad, Zach is still upstairs"she said with a small laugh he looked at her.

"Well, Zach is a less douche bag name then Tod so, I'll give him points for that one" he said with a laugh as he brought coffee cup to his lips.

"I met him while I was dating Tod, we were just friends, kinda. He was always there for me when Tod hurt me, when I found out Tod was cheating on me, Zach brought me ice cream and stayed so I wasn't alone, he FaceTimed me while I cried after me and Tod broke up. He treated me the way you use to treat mom. I started getting feelings for him and then I almost got back with Tod which caused a small fight between me and Zach. Then he flew from New York to Cali to apologize and ask me to be his girlfriend and I said yes" Hazel and her dad had a very close relationship, she told him everything and never lied to him. It was one of the reasons he trusted her as much as he did. After her mom died the two became closer than ever, a new balance was created between them.

"He lives in New York?"

"No, he lives like 30 minuets from here, but he's in a band. A pretty well known and very talented one and they are in New York doing interviews"

"So your telling me that he flew across the country, only to fly tonight once again across the country, to apologize for you being stupid when you almost got back with Tod?" He said placing his empty cup in the stainless steel sink.

"Yes"

"First, over my dead body will you ever get back with Tod. I was one step away from bashing in his knee caps. Two, I haven't met him, but when him and his band comes back home I'd like the chance to. You've never once compared a guy to me and your mother, that must mean something. I'm gonna go to the office and get some more papers marked before I have to pick your sister up. No funny business okay?" He said as he walked closer to her.

"You know me dad"

"I know, but as a father I just feel like I have to say it anyways" he laughed as he bent down to place a kiss on her forehead.

"You're an amazing girl Hazel, you're mom would be so proud of you. You deserve to be treated properly, Tods aren't the kinda guys you are gonna end up with, I know that" he told her before picking up his bag and keys before walking out the door.

Smiling to herself, Hazel got up and walked up the stairs and into her room only to see Zach sleeping as soundly as before- cuddling her pillow this time.

Slipping the pillow out of his arms, she took its place when his beautiful eyes started to flutter open.

"Hello" he whispered, pulling her closer than ever before and resting his head on her shoulder. His morning voice sexy and strong, sending shivers down her spine.

"When do you fly out?" She whispered back, nothing much love and tenderness in the air.

"Around 7" he whispered, snuggling deeper into her.

"Can we just lay here until it's time to go?" Hazel asked, wanting to spend every moment in his arms that she could.

"Of course princess" he said to her, placing a soft kiss on her shoulder before the two of them fell asleep again, both with large smiles plastering their faces.

For the first time since her mom died, she truly felt happy again and that happiness only started when Zach came around.