"Please don't tell me it's green?" She immediately protests.

Like the bomber jacket that I have given her when I ask her to be my one and only.

"It has to be orange." Nope.

Her favourite colour. Says it reminded her of the first butterfly that she caught.

The bell rings and it snapped me back to reality. Everyone was already leaving for their first period including Mel. Before I could reach her, I remember to stay away just until tonight.

The day rolls around. I didn't even pay attention most of the time, just thinking of Mel who either sits in front of me or in the classroom down the hall from mine.

"You look amazing, honey!" My mother patted the collar of my black tuxedo.

"Thanks, mom," I smiled and allowed her to tidy my suit.

"Go get your girl!" She called out to me as I walked into my car as if she knows.

I drove to school, feeling so empty and lonely without Mel. I missed her so much that the music on the radio made me feel worse. Schoolmates around me danced with their partners.

I see my friends and went to join them.

"Yo, Mont! We're gonna spike the drink. Cover for us," Justin and Zach poured the vodka into the punch bowl.

I scoffed and walked away, not without Bryce stopping me.

"Where's your girl?" He put his arm around my shoulders to stop me.

"On her way," I answered nonchalantly and removed his arm.

The music was a bob but I only wanted to dance with Mel. Then, I saw Hannah, Courtney and Courtney's friends.

"Ladies!" I greeted them.

"Fuck off, Monty," Hannah glared at me.

Thank heavens, she's one of Mel's friend or my anger would have boiled. I let it slide and chuckled. I looked at them. Melody was nowhere to be seen. My eyebrow drew together.

"Mel said she was coming with you. Where is she?" I question.

"Melody?" Courtney raised her eyebrows.

"I offered but she didn't want to. If you'll excuse us," Hannah rolled her eyes and pulled Courtney with her as they walked away.

I was beginning to worry. I went back to the others and sighed. Zach heard me.

"She'll be here, Mont. Don't worry," He patted my back and Tony begin playing slow music. Everyone got their partners and moved to the dance floor.

The song is almost ending when I saw her. Looking around clueless in her white beautiful dress. She glowed in the purple light. I sucked my breath and approached her. I caught her while she was making her way to the punch bowl table.

"Mel," I tapped her shoulder.

She turned around and I was awestruck. Her makeup accentuates her blue eyes and red lips. She was wearing a white sleeveless lacy dress that reached the floor.

"Monty. Hi," She scanned my tuxedo and reached out to my shirt to button it up.

Her fingers fiddled with my shirt and we were standing really close to each other. She looked up and all I want to do is kiss her. That is what I did.

She kissed me back and pulled away. She smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. I know something is wrong. I held her hands.

"Do you want to dance?"

"The song is almost ending," She said, hesitating.

"Who cares?"

"Can we go somewhere to talk?"

"What? Why?"

"Just come with me, please," She tugged my hand and we walked out of the gym.

"Listen, babe. If it's about Halloween night, please know that I'm really sorry about it. I was high. If I hurt you, I'm sorry," I quickly say when she brought me to the rooftop.

"It's not that, Monty but I appreciate you apologising. I want to talk about us. It's not working," Her back was facing me and I see her hugging herself.

"What do you mean it's not working? Of course, it will not if you don't forgive me," I approached her.

"I forgive you."

"Then what are you trying to say?"

"Trust and communication, Monty. Hadn't I mention it before? It's not going to work if we can't talk to each other about things," Her eyes darkened.

"Then it's my fault? You're the one who pushed me away!"

"That is because I'm not ready. Why did you force me?" Both pairs of our fists balled.

"What about trust? You don't trust me?"

"I don't trust me being with you!"

"So this is it?"

"If you can't accept who I am then we're over," She turned to her heel and left me.

THE END
>vote, comment, share!<

author's note

🎉 we have come a very long way since i published this book. now we have achieved 20K+ reads and 600+ votes! thank you so much!

i wouldn't have done it without my patient readers, loyal voters and frequent commenters. here is to more achievements including getting this book on the fanfiction rank! i love you all 💕