Chapter Seven : Day & Night

Start from the beginning

"Where have you been all day?", she asks me. "Were you at work?"

I shake my head, "I was with a friend."

The skeptical look she gives me kind of puts into perspective how much of a loner I really am, "Were you really?"

"Yeah," I say. "There's this new girl at school and she told me that she wanted to go to the beach, so I took her. It was her first time."

"A girl!", she's smiling so widely and she's getting so excited it's kind of embarrassing.

"Don't get your hopes up, we're just friends."

"And do just friends spend the entire day together at the beach?"

"I think so," I tell her with a slight chuckle.

"So when do I get to meet this friend of yours?", mom is almost smirking now. She's obviously having lots of fun with this.

"I've only known her a week. It'd be a little weird if I introduced her to you."

"But I thought you two were just friends?", she gives me a sly look.

I groan and she laughs at me, asking, "Are you going to work tomorrow?"

I nod, "All day. Which is why I'm going to bed now."

"You sure you don't wanna tell me more about your new friend?"

"Positive," I say to her as I start up the carpeted stairs.

"At least tell me her name," she practically begs.

"Anita," I say, her name causing a small smile to come to my face.

~

Anita's POV

Monday morning spills light through the thin white curtains on my windows, waking me up at six in the morning. I take a quick shower and do my hair the same way I always do before applying make up and changing into a short, baby pink dress and white sandals.

I make extra sure to pack my lunch of leftover chicken casserole and put it into my bag so I'm not food-less at lunch again. I'm ready to go by seven, a little earlier than usual but I roll out the door anyway. I roll down the front two windows all the way and turn up the radio.

Driving to school, I take my time and then a song called "A Thousand Miles" comes on and I get excited, being the typical girl that I am. I sing along and dance around in my seat when I hit a red light.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone watching me from their car. I turn and see it's two girls who look like they're in college. Rather than get embarrassed I merely sing louder and they laugh at me before the light turns green, and I turn right and they head forward.

Today suddenly feels like it's going to be a good day, and I get a large smile on my face as that popular Katy Perry song comes on that I sing along with, too. Another red light and there's nobody in the other lanes at first but then a white car pulls up on my left but I keep singing and not looking at them. Suddenly my phone rings and I see that it's Naomi. I tap the green button and answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Someone looks happy this morning."

I instantly turn to my left and there she is in that white car, laughing at me. I hang up the phone on her and I can see that she's still laughing. I speed away as soon as the light turns green but of course, she's behind me the entire way to school. I pull into a parking spot that has an empty one beside it that Naomi promptly pulls into. When we get out of our cars Naomi grins widely at me, humorously.