Chapter 9: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

This chapter is dedicated to sazidakhanom for her awesome support!

Revised, Published Version

Jade's days flew by like a whirlwind, and she had no peace. Dress fittings, soirees, dinners, and a daunting trip to the palace filled her days. The memory of being presented to Queen Charlotte at court still amazed her. Although not one for pomp and circumstance, she had met a real queen. The experience was exhilarating.

Abagail had transitioned into her new role in the household and was tutoring Suzanna to take over as Jade's lady's maid. Jade felt pleased with the way everything was progressing as planned, but a few things still lingered on her mind. Miriam was due home in a few days, and she had yet to catch a single glimpse of Lord William Anson, the Earl of Lichfield. He vanished, implying to Jade that he was worried about facing her uncle's wrath. She told herself it did not matter, but it left a knot deep in her stomach. Jade sought him out wherever she went, but he remained elusive.

How dare he kiss me and disappear. Gravel crunching under the wheels of a carriage interrupted Jade's thoughts. With force, Jade snapped the book closed. She was attempting to read, but thoughts of a certain rogue kept her preoccupied. Jade was glad for the interruption and rushed to the library windows, hoping to catch sight of the visitor. The ton's nosy and stuffy members had been calling frequently, causing Jade to grow weary. With every guest, her heart quickened, and her subconscious yearned for Lord Anson, only to be let down.

Bella and Jade's arrival piqued the curiosity of the ton, and they were the topic of conversation in most London drawing-rooms. Luckily, it seemed as if all the gossip thus far was favorable, but Jade felt she was teetering on the edge of a cliff, trying not to fall. One false move and the gossipmongers would chew her up and spit her out.

Jade struggled to maintain her best behavior, and her cheeks burned from wearing a constant smile. She was masking her true feelings and keeping them bottled up was not healthy. Jade knew she was too stubborn, opinionated, boisterous, and spirited to fit the criteria of a refined, aristocratic lady. Although, somewhere along the way, she wanted to fit in. Could she do it without losing her true self? That would be a precarious feat to accomplish. Why am I concerned with what others think of me? Jumbled thoughts consumed her as she waited at the window to glimpse the person exiting the carriage.

The carriage door was blocking her view, but Jade saw a dainty white-gloved hand, reaching out to the footman waiting to assist. "Drat!" Jade uttered aloud and held her breath as the beautiful blonde made her way down the steps. Her eyes squinted of their own accord to gain a better view, and her hand flew to her mouth. Stunned, she stumbled backward but regained her footing and whispered, "Miriam." In a very unladylike manner, she ran to her bedchamber and pulled the bell cord to summon her new lady's maid, Suzanna.

"Why... is... she... early!" Jade growled through gritted teeth. She paced back and forth with clenched hands as sweat dripped from her brow. She had been dreading this day since her arrival, but Jade planned on having a few more days to enjoy herself before Miriam's return.

Her cousin was the embodiment of everything Jade despised, and she had disliked Miriam for as long as she could remember. Over time, Jade acknowledged her lack of guilt and justified her disdain for her cousin. The wicked girl was impossible to like.

Suzanna appeared and stiffened at the sight of her mistress. "Jade, is something amiss? You look quite unwell; mayhap, sit or lie down," she stated with concern.

"I will be fine, and I apologize for causing you distress, but I fear it is all petty and absurd." Jade blew out a breath and collapsed onto the bed. "My Cousin, Miriam, has returned from Bath a few days earlier than expected." Jade groaned.

The look of terror on Suzanna's face caused Jade to sit up. "You do not care for her either?"

Suzanna's eyes widened. A blush crept across her face and she lowered her head. "No, miss, but I shan't speak ill of her." She glanced up with a frown, appearing fearful. "I am so sorry and have spoken out of turn. Please forgive me; it shall never happen again!"

To her surprise, Suzanna wept. Jade urged Suzanna onto the bed beside her and rubbed her back. "Shh, everything is all right now. I will protect you, and you are safe with me," Jade whispered, and hoped Suzanna could not sense her rage. Just another reason to loathe Miriam.

With a tight smile, Suzanna hugged her. Jade returned the affection and wiped the remaining tears from Suzanna's eyes. "I need to tidy up, change into something more appropriate, and have you attend to my unruly hair. But if you are too upset, we can summon Abagail, and she will help."

"No, 'tis unnecessary. I find immense comfort in your kindness and protective words, yet, I must admit, your hair looks frightening." Jade burst out in laughter and felt pleased with how comfortable Suzanna was around her. She wanted to ask Suzanna to explain her frightened and weepy reaction regarding Miriam, but thought better of it. She would find out everything, but she must greet her cousin first. The very thought made her cringe.

The discontent between the cousins was no secret, yet Jade had always carried the brunt of the responsibility. While Miriam found it easy to act as if she adored her cousin around others, Jade refused to be fake. She maintained respect, but it felt agonizing and contrived.

Her dislike for Miriam began early on, as she was problematic and very spoiled. Miriam was whiny, demanding, selfish, and downright dreadful. She only grew worse as time went by, and each visit to England caused Jade to despise the wicked creature. There was no love lost between the two.

Jade's personality was outspoken and spirited, but everyone knew she was loving and kind. The ongoing animosity between them had always troubled her, and Jade endeavored to appease her cousin, but it proved futile. Jade gave up and avoided Miriam at all costs, ignoring her whenever possible. Yet it would be challenging now, living under the same roof. Jade could only hope that Miriam would make a match this Season and marry soon. At the same time, Jade felt sorrow for the poor, unsuspecting fool. She couldn't imagine anyone being leg-shackled to such a wicked creature.

Thoughts from her conversation with the earl entered her mind and a rush of forbidding flooded her soul. Jade could not allow Miriam to sink her claws into Lord Anson, and she felt a deep, primal need to warn him against her. He deserved to know the truth of her evil nature, but how could she convey this information without appearing petty or spiteful?

Suzanna's voice broke through Jade's musings. "Right now, you must sit, and I will attempt to fix your hair."

Jade laughed, but she felt contented to see Suzanna relaxed enough to tackle the messy task. She combed, braided, twisted, and pinned Jade's hair in a fashionable, elegant style. "Suzanna, this is lovely! I believe you have a natural knack. You have outdone yourself and even Abagail." They both fell into a fit of giggles, and it felt wonderful after the tense and painful moments they had shared.

A sharp rap on the door startled them both, and Jade yelled, "Come in, please." She didn't wish for Suzanna to be interrupted while threading beautiful jewels through her hair, but the knocking continued.

"I'll see to it, Jade." Suzanna laid the end of the jeweled lace into its proper spot, inserted the last pin in Jade's hair, and made her way to the door. The sight of Miriam standing in the doorway seemed to shock Jade and Suzanna.

"Well, well, well... what do we have here?" Miriam asked with a viscous, wicked grin. 

♥♥♥

Please remember to vote, and comments are always lovely. 😊
More Miriam coming soon and she's such a vile creature.

September revised published version