Chapter 8: The Reluctant Debutante

This chapter is dedicated to glamourgail for all her support! Thank you 💜

Revised, Published Version

Jade stood outside the door, listening to the hushed whispers, and squared her shoulders before knocking. "Enter." She heard her uncle's loud baritone voice beckoning her.

With her pulse banging like kettledrums, Jade glanced around the masculine room. A dark burgundy plush rug covered the middlemost part of the room and a massive mahogany desk sat in the center. Bookshelves, tables, and matching burgundy chairs faced his desk.

Well, this is not intimidating in the least, Jade thought with sarcasm.

"Take a seat, poppet," Uncle George said, while motioning to a chair.

Jade gave a well-executed curtsy and sat beside her mother. "My apologies for keeping you waiting. I was dreadfully tired." Jade stifled a yawn.

"I beg you, do not worry, so," he said with tenderness. George smiled at his niece, putting Jade at ease. "Your mother and I were going over your father's will and his last wishes."

Tears formed in her eyes at the mention of her father. Jade forced them closed, but they escaped down her cheeks.

"I am sorry I have upset you, poppet." The duke frowned and fidgeted in his chair. He often appeared as an ogre, but Jade knew he loved her and did not want to cause her pain.

"Nonsense, Uncle," she scoffed with a shake of her head. "I apologize for being a watering pot. Please continue. I am fine."

"Are you positive?" Concern knitted the duke's brows. After Jade's affirmative nod, he handed her a handkerchief. "As you know, Miriam will be returning soon, and there is much to prepare for the Season. This will be her second one, and I wish to secure her a good match. Your mother and I would like to present you into 'Proper Society' as well," he announced, his face laced with hope.

Jade cringed at the mention of Miriam, yet presented the best fake smile she could muster. "That is ever so kind, but I fear I would only embarrass you and have no desire to be introduced into Polite Society." Jade gave her uncle a thin smile and felt her back stiffen.

"Jade, your uncle, has been head of our family since your father's passing, and I beseech you to hear him out. I feel this is best, and you will adhere to our wishes..." Bella turned and pierced Jade with a warning gaze, filled with resolve. "With that being said, there is much to do, and your Aunt Mattie is excited to help." Bella tilted her head in satisfaction and smiled at her daughter.

"With all due respect, we have been through this, Mother! We dealt with all the suitors, or should I say, fortune hunters, in New York," Jade said, agitation lacing her voice. "What will differ here?" She shrugged. "I fear it will be even worse, and why, pray tell, can I not find myself a husband?"

The Duke of Lancaster stood and wandered to the front of his massive desk, leaned back against the wood, and folded his arms. Jade studied his sympathetic and determined leer. She wanted to shrink back in her chair at his imposing form, but to do so would show weakness. Instead, she scooted closer and tilted her chin to glare up at him.

"Jade, I know this is all overwhelming..." He held up his arms, shaking his head. "But you can not traipse around London to find a husband. You are part of this family, which allows you the luxury of being in all the right places to find a man worthy of you and your status." The duke raked a hand through his hair, appearing exasperated. "You are one and twenty, and I do not think spinsterhood would suit you, and time is of the essence. We will be introducing you for the Season, and that is final. I do not wish to be cross, but most young women would love to take your place. Do you not like to dress up and dance? I already know you like attention from handsome young men..."

Jade inhaled a sharp audible breath, and her face flamed red from mortification. Her uncle had the good taste to appear ashamed of his unkind words, as a look of regret etched his forehead. But Jade seethed with anger, ready to lash out and storm from the room. Instead of leaving, she held her guard.

I am not a child. I am a woman of one and twenty. No more running!

She could tell her uncle was chastising himself, and his crestfallen expression tugged at her heart. "So, you will introduce me this Season," she stated with bluntness. "Is there anything else I should know? Do you have a list of rules for me to abide by, and is there a certain gentleman you wish for me to avoid?" She narrowed her eyes, glaring at him. "Perhaps, the Earl of Lichfield?" Jade ventured and held her head high, challenging him to reply.

The discomfort in the air was palpable.

Bella coughed and gave her brother a nod to continue. She must have known he was struggling. Jade tried to relax the intense expression on her face she used as a shield to mask her pain. When the duke remained silent, Bella took over. "Jade, your uncle is offering you his support and knowledge. As a duke and respected Lord of the Realm, he knows whose intentions are pure and who to avoid."

"Your mother is right," he supplied with a heavy sigh. "I only want what is best for you, and that includes an honorable husband. Now, back to the Season." George beetled his brows and waited. "What do you say, poppet?"

"Why is it so important that I marry? I am wealthy and the sole heir to my father's legacy. Which means I have everything I need."

"True, but you need a smart and knowledgeable husband to take over your father's vast investments. It is not wise to leave them in the hands of others for very long."

"Very well, I shall do it, but I must warn you I will not marry for status or titles. I have dodged fortune hunters for years, and I will only marry for love. I am, however, curious why you seem bothered by the attention the Earl of Lichfield bestowed upon me?"

"That, my dear, is a sensitive matter. It seems Miriam is besotted with him and his mother is besotted with furthering her family's status. She also hopes that marriage will tame her son's unsavory ways, so to speak," the duke replied with awkwardness, the tips of his ears stained pink.

"Well, now that we have cleared the air, and everyone knows what to expect, I have splendid news that you will appreciate." Bella clasped her hands together and grinned.

Jade noticed the excitement dancing in her mother's eyes and she moved closer to the end of the chair. With hope written on her face, she cried, "Do tell Mother! I cannot bear the suspense!"

"I have made my wishes known, and your uncle and I have come to a compromise concerning Abby. George and I were going over the will, and I explained we were in the process of adopting Abby before your father's unfortunate demise. Your father left Abby a substantial amount of money, and George thinks we should use some of it as her dowry. We will start by moving her into the bedchamber next to yours, but remember, just because we treat her like family here does not mean the ton will accept her." Jade watched Bella's smile drop into a frown.

"Your mother speaks the truth. The Haute Ton will make or break her. Still, I have written to my solicitor regarding a few things in the will. Your father makes his wishes clear concerning Abagail, and we will find out if Bella can adopt her. I fear the laws will differ here in England, but we shall see." The duke smiled at his niece.

Jade felt speechless, elated, overwhelmed, yet happy at this favorable bit of news. She sprang from the chair, threw her arms around her uncle, and kissed his cheek. She then turned to her mother and did the same. "Forgive me for being vexatious and troublesome. I can not wait to tell Abby. She is waiting, and we are going to Hyde Park." Jade's enthusiasm was infectious, and the demeanor of the room was now energized. 

♥♥♥

Please remember to vote if you're enjoying the story!

Lady Lisa

September 2023 revised published version