chapter one

We had moved to Oregon to get away from everyone in California, well that’s what my mother told me. She always seemed scared in California and she would never tell me why.

When my mother’s boyfriend found out we were moving he was furious. He was throwing things and yelling at my mother. I tried to stop him but he pushed my weak body away.

So now we were in Portland, Oregon and I was nervous because my first day of a new school is tomorrow. I’ve always been a really anti-social person so I don’t really know how it will go tomorrow. They might think I’m weird because I prefer to wear band t-shirts and skinny jeans instead of dresses and skirts, it’s just not my thing.

“Victoria!” My mother shouted from downstairs.

“What?” I shouted back.

“Our neighbors are here!” She shouted. Oh, I forgot we were having dinner with our neighbors. So far I already hated their daughter. When I first moved here she was looking at me in disgust and eyeing my clothes. I could tell she was popular.

I groaned and got up before looking in my mirror to make sure I looked presentable. My straight brown hair was in a messy bun and I quickly took it out before brushing my hair. My face looked a little plain so I grabbed some mascara and eyeliner and quickly put it on so you could see my brown eyes better. I took out my nose piercing because my mother hates it and doesn’t want me to wear it I front of our new neighbors.

I was wearing a Paramore band t-shirt, black ripped skinny jeans, and my black converse. I looked pretty good. I quickly went downstairs and saw everyone already sitting at the dinner table.

“Sorry.” I mumbled before sitting down in the only available seat, and that was next to the girl who was looking at me in disgust yesterday.

“Victoria this is Ashley, she is a junior in high school and will be going to the same school as you.” She said while gesturing to the stupid blonde girl I was sitting next to.

“And this is Mary and David, Ashley’s parents.” She said while gesturing to the adults who were looking at me like I just murdered someone.

I was used to those looks.

I gave them a small wave before looking down and eating my food.

“So Victoria, what’s your favorite thing in Oregon so far?” Mary asked. I looked up at her and said,

“The forest.” And with that she choked on her food.

“Don’t ever go in the forest. There is this boy who lives there, and he kill anyone who goes in there but no one has been brave enough to see if the that’s true.” Mary said. I looked down and rolled my eyes.

“Victoria, I don’t want you going in the forest.” My mother said. I nodded my head and told her I wouldn’t but after school tomorrow I was going to go check it out.

Dinner with our stupid neighbors was finally over and I couldn’t be happier. They were just so annoying; Ashley talked the whole time about how fun school is going to tomorrow.

Yeah fucking right bitch.