Chapter 26: Sydney

Start from the beginning

A smile spread across Elena's face.

"No need to apologize, dear. It was obvious to us that you've been through some kind of hell. We just didn't want you out there on your own. Not everyone can be trusted."

Sydney suspected as much. Just because they were kind didn't mean everyone in this region was. She knew there would always be a portion of mankind that was better off dead, and she felt it was only a matter of time before she encountered them.

"I was asking because I'm going out of town in a few days."

"Really?" Sydney asked, raising her eyebrow in curiosity. "For how long?"

"That's currently undecided. I haven't seen my two eldest children in so long, and I want to spend time with my grandson. I'm sure they'll want to see Noah as well."

"You have a grandchild? But you look so young!" Sydney exclaimed in shock.

Elena's laughter made her feel silly for expressing her surprise.

"That is a compliment I will gladly take," she chuckled. "But, I do want to know, honestly, would you feel comfortable staying here with Casey?"

Sydney stopped wiping off the table to look her directly in the eye.

"Elena, your son has done nothing but help me since I met him. I'll be just fine."

A proud smile spread across Elena's face.

"Good," she said, walking to her bedroom door. "Now that that's out of the way, I can do the laundry. Can you set out any clothes you need washed along with the bedsheets? I'll bring you some fresh ones later."

Sydney nodded her head in agreement as Elena went into her room. Then she headed to Casey's to do as she was asked.

As she closed the bedroom door she heard shuffling coming from behind her.

"Oh, I didn't expect you to be in here. I probably should have since this is your room, right?," she asked playfully as she sat at the edge of his bed.

"Right," he answered, scratching the back of his head.

Sydney watched as he walked back and forth across his room.

Is he pacing?

"Something on your mind?" she asked.

This got him to stop walking around, but he still wasn't saying whatever was bothering him. Not being able to take it anymore, Sydney spoke up.

"Casey, just say it!" she pressed.

"What were you doing all day with Reid?" he blurted out.

Sydney's mouth fell open for a second, caught off guard by his question. It didn't take her long to recover, though.

"Nothing, really. He just showed me around LeHorn," she shrugged.

"But I already did that."

"You did, but he came over and offered, so I accepted."

"Why? Did I not do a good enough job yesterday?"

"No, Casey. You did fine. But I wasn't going to turn him down," she said.

"And why is that?" he asked, crossing his arms as he leaned against the wall.

"Because I like his company!" Sydney exclaimed. "And I don't see what the big deal is!"

Casey's face visibly flinched at her words, which didn't go unnoticed by her. She stood up from the bed and found herself walking over to him.

"He reminds me of a friend from home, Casey. I like his company because it makes me feel less...homesick," she explained.