Mortal Boy

author's note: I have no idea why I suddenly had the urge to write this. It's super short, but it was fun! So, this is the scene where Percy and Annabeth go to see Rachel for help navigating the labryinth, but the genders have been flipped!

Percy's name is still Percy (I think Sally would've still named her kid Perseus, male or female)
Annabeth is Alexander, Rachel is Ray.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of all the things Percy doesn't need, Alexander Chase meeting Ray is pretty far up on the list. Maybe just below "getting soul reaped before turning sixteen".

But it isn't like things have ever been easy for the daughter of Poseidon, so it seems unlikely they're going to change now.

"So," Alex says flatly, his gray eyes looking Ray up and down, "This is the guy who sees through the Mist. You know, I thought you would be taller." They're sitting at a booth in a cafe, Alex and Percy on one side, Ray on the other. Ray is absentmindedly brushing the gold flakes out of his red hair. Alex is observing this with a look on his face like somebody's just told him architecture is pointless and everyone should live in square concrete buildings.

Percy tries to shoot a glare at Alex - like, dude, what are you doing? - but he doesn't even seem to notice her.

Ray ignores the jab. "Yup. That's me. You're Alex, right? Son of Athena? Cool to meet you."

"Alexander," says Alex, crossing his arms. She fights the urge to punch him on the arm. Alex might be her best friend, but his whole prideful thing can be a little unhelpful sometimes. "No offense to you, bro. I'd just prefer for mortals to call me Alexander."

This is going too far. Percy's not sure she's ever heard Alex use "bro" in all the years she's known him. Before Ray can respond, she cuts in, "Guys. I think we have some more important stuff to be talking about." Their eyes land on her, and she shifts awkwardly. Lately it's becoming harder and harder to focus when Alex's steely gaze is on her. "Ray, we need you to guide us through the labyrinth. You're our secret weapon against Luke's army. They've got Ariadne's string; we've got you." She smiles and grips Ray's forearm, meaning for it to be a friendly gesture.

She realizes half a second later that Alex looks like he's going to stab something, probably Ray, and withdraws her hand quickly.

"And let me guess – you need me to do this because if I don't, the whole world is going to get destroyed."

"Yup," says Percy, sweeping the sheaf of her black hair to the other side of her neck. "By Kronos. The big bad time guy. It won't be pretty." Understatement.

"Sign me up, then," Ray says, and Percy finds herself marveling once again at the mortal boy's bravery. "It's not like I have much better to do."

Alex's voice is filled with irritation when he speaks. "We don't know how long it'll take. You sure your parents will be fine with just letting you run off like that?"

Ray picks at a patch of gold on his shirt. "Yeah, actually. They're not around much. Hell, they might not even notice I'm gone." His tone couldn't be more casual, but Percy can tell by the way he averts his eyes it's a touchy subject for him.

At this, Percy can tell that some of the hostility goes out of Alex. He also knows what's it's like to have parents who are never around, she guesses. The hard line of his lips relaxes a little, and she thinks she even sees a trace of guilt on his face. Hey - this might not turn out to be a total disaster after all.