"Before I listen to you as you beg for your life, what do you have for me?" Lucifer's rough voice was like nails on a chalkboard for the demon to hear.

He reached into his inside pocket and pulled out his little plastic tube, closed by a cork lid. Inside was what looked like smoke, twisting and turning in distress. Sally's soul was restless and being trapped in the plastic was the least of her worries.

He stretched out his arm and waited for the devil to come to him. Of course, this irritated his master, but Kaiden was not going to back down and look weak, not when he had to act so normal.

His stench hit him hard, and he held back a cough as he took the soul from his grip.

"A human soul?" The disgust in his tone was not a good sign. "Do you have an explanation?"

"Yes."

Lucifer wasted a few seconds, interested in how sinful the soul smelt. But his anger overtook it and he threw it at his soul catcher, striking him on the shoulder. Kaiden did not even flinch, he was prepared for pain.

"Do you think I care!?" He screeched. "You come back late with a human soul!?"

Kaiden could drop to his knees and beg for him to listen. Although he would be tortured either way, so he allowed the opportunity to pass.

"Are you testing me on purpose? Do you think I can't smell an angel on you!?"

Kaiden's head snapped up, and his eyes stared into red ones which were crazed and wide. The opportunity to explain himself hovered in the air.

"I was close, this human ruined everything."

Meloras, Kaiden's mother, was nervously pulling on her sleeve. She wanted to hug her son and ask why he looked so worn and beaten. She feared that Lucifer would do something terrible to him, like last time.

"You are great at this job because I trained you to be, but you are saying that a human stopped you from killing an angel when you were close enough to touch it?" He bellowed a laugh that made Kaiden's hairs stand on edge. "You stupid, stupid boy." Stepping closer, his eyes grew dark and unbearably cold. "Wait for me in the torture room."

* * * * *

Milokan hovered in the air, his magnificent wings flapped back and forth while he stared hopelessly at the gates of heaven. It was sitting perfectly on what could be viewed as a cloud. Human's could not see it, they don't require that gift unless angels give it to them, which is unheard of, unless they are connected with a bond.

The angel looked down and scoped the earth, looking for the gates of hell, wondering if Kaiden gave him the gift to see it. He supposed it would be deeply hidden from everyone, hell is not a place that sat for any supernatural being to comprehend.

He brought his gaze back towards the golden gates. Beautiful patterns carved into the grand poles. It was tall and heavy, but he could see between the poles and into the white mist of hope. He knew he had to try and enter, they might let him in because whatever was happening with the demon appeared to be quite significant.

When he reached it, he stood on the white marble and placed a warm hand on the pillar that was positioned at either side of the gate, making his presence known to the guardian of heaven's souls.

It only took a few seconds until he heard the grinding of heavy metal and the left gate swiftly opened. The small angel took a big breath of courage before taking a step forwards and entering his home.

The gate shut immediately behind him, and he was faced with a man standing proudly with a warm smile.

"Milokan, you have returned, how wonderful! I feared for your life when your mentor explained about a demon attack, and she left without you." He took a step forward and bent down so he could whisper. "She is a coward, leaving you like that. But I also know she is a traitor, and I will get her banished from heaven very soon."

Milokan looked up and stared into his amber eyes. They twinkled with untold secrets, he knew he was trustworthy.

"You know," He continued, "I see and hear a lot of things that I most likely should not when I do this job. The last angel and a good friend of mine called Zachariah, who did this job, now lives the most extraordinary life with the most wonderful people. And do you know why?"

Milokan shook his head, he was captivated by his friendly aura.

"Because he was not afraid to chase what he wanted. He saw his dreams and decided that he had served enough in heaven and he wanted a life filled with love and adventure. Not everyone has the opportunity and the bravery to do what he did. If I ever came across someone who possessed such a chance, I would tell them to leave, be free and be happy. If you long for more, heaven is not the place for you."

It was when he completed the last sentence that Milokan realised he was talking directly to him about what he should do. The guardian of the gates of heaven could see that half of his soul was shared with someone else. Maybe he knew more about the young angel than he should, and Milokan wanted to question it. Yet, he also appeared to be very wise and if he wanted to tell him about his future, he would. If he knew too much about the path he was taking, he would crumble, just like what the elder angel told him in his head.

"Be free and be happy," He repeated, liking the sound of that. "But what if the person would be miserable on earth because the chance of finding love is almost impossible?"

"Then I would tell them not to give up and to fight for it. Things always seem impossible until they are done. There is also a first for everything, set the standards high because you will inspire others to follow. Being scared is okay, but being scared and doing nothing about it is not." The angel reached forwards and tapped Milokan's chest, over his heart. "You are special, use it to your advantage."

Milokan had heard everything he needed to settle his problems. Being told by someone else was a breath of fresh air. He was not letting people down if he was selfish and chose to be happy, he was searching for a free life.

"You have just helped me to make the hardest decision I will ever face. Thank you very much, I will always be grateful for this." His eyes were discretely watering, he was filling up with excitement and gratitude.

"You are always welcome at the gates for more if you ever need it. Go and follow your dreams, young angel. If it's not for yourself, then do it for him, he needs you now more than ever."