Chapter 43: Final

1 Week Later

Este's POV

I watched Alana with rapt attention as she was being questioned by the asshole prosecution lawyer. Her smug tone as she reeled question after question at Alana made me want to get out of my seat and show her what a real fight is. My mom rested her hand on my leg and I looked down at my fists balled up in rage.

Mom looked me in the eye and breathed slowly, a nervous smile on her lips. Alana was doing well, that's what I gathered. But this lawyer... She was too good at her job.

"Why would I stab her... I'm telling you, it wasn't me," Alana said calmly, reasoning with the lawyer who was becoming increasingly angry. I looked for Jonas in the crowd. Surely they would be calling him for evidence next.

My eyes scanned the various people in the crowd. Members of the public were allowed in to watch the trial, but it had been a while since Alana's story was on TV. There were barely any press and the people attending the trial were getting fewer by the minute. They were bored. The trial was going to end soon. But the verdict wasn't looking so good for Alana.

I failed to find Jonas. Danielle promised she had it under control, that she would make him confess. She had told me about what she knew, how she had found Jonas' confession at the crime and why she disappeared for 3 weeks. But her evidence was too late. I couldn't understand why they didn't want to include it. It would most definitely change the outcome of the trial.

I looked at the Judge, who's eyes were drooping. It was getting to 3pm. The lawyers were tired, the judge was tired and the crowd was getting bored. It was coming to the end. Danielle better get here, right now.

Danielle's POV

"Blake, where the fuck is Jonas?!" I had convinced him to attend the trial and he had stayed at my place the night before. But he was gone in the morning. 3pm and he still wasn't back. Blake shook his head, looking up from his paper.

"Told you he wouldn't go through with it, D," Blake mumbled, continuing reading.

"We've got to find him," I paced anxiously, "This is Alana's life, Blake. Are you with me or not?"

Blake put down the paper, considering the ultimatum I had just presented him with.

"I'm with you, Danielle, " he stood up, walking towards the door with determination, grabbing his keys, "I'm not the same guy I was before. The break from us changed me. It made me realise how much I needed you."

But I didn't necessarily need him. I'd grown out of my awkward phase where Blake was who I revolved around. Anyway, I didn't have time for him now. I could consider this later. He was helping me for Alana. She was the reason all of this was happening. I couldn't think about myself now when there were other people in danger.

We drove around aimlessly for a while, checking all the spots Jonas had been hanging out at recently.

"Why don't you call him?" Blake suggested, stopping at a traffic light.

"You think he'll pick up if I ring him?" I asked sceptically, "But maybe... If I ring him from your phone."

He gestured to his phone in the glove box and I dialled Jonas' number. After what seemed like a long time he picked up.

"Jonas where are you?!" I didn't even give him time to greet me.

"Uh..." He paused at the other end of the line. It sounded like wind was whistling through the air, masking what he was saying.