Chapter 42: Plan

Long time no update...Sorry guys, exams are a bitch.

Ally's POV

I sighed, shifting uncomfortably on a couch in the Haim living room. The sun was starting to set, glaring through the window as it travelled further and further towards the horizon. I should probably go back to my place, I didn't want to walk home in the dark.

My mind jolted suddenly as I remembered that I had to tell Alana about Danielle and I. It almost winded me, I had completely forgotten. Being with Alana pushed any bad thoughts out of my mind. I sat up, slumping forward. This will kill her when she finds out. And after Este's weird interaction with me earlier, it would probably kill me too.

The phone rang beside me, a blaring noise in the silence of the house. I picked it up instinctively.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Judge Stevens, just informing you that the trial is in one week," a voice at the other end paused, "This is Mrs Haim isn't it?"

"Uh...Yes, " Alana's mum was at work, so I put on my best impression for the time being.

"Well, your daughter will be expected in court at nine. We expect that you've already arranged a lawyer so... That's all really, " the Judge said sleepily. It was the end of the day, he probably wanted to go home.

"Well...alright, then. Thank you."

The Judge promptly hung up and I let the news sink in. A week today, Alana's life would be in the hands of that Judge.

"Ally?" Alana's voice called from her room, "You still here? Al?"

I softly opened her room door, seeing Alana who had just woken up, tucked under the covers.

"I'm still here, don't worry," I smiled a little, sitting on the edge of the bed carefully. Alana watched me, her hair a little mussed from sleeping.

"I needed a nap, sorry you had to wait around like that, " She put a hand on mine and I observed the bruises on her arm sadly.

"It's cool. You need to rest...After what happened today, " I looked up at her, giving her a reassuring smile. She softly moved the hair out of my face.

"Who was on the phone?"

"Oh..." I paused, not knowing if she would panic or brush it off, "Just a Judge...The trial is...um...next week."

"Oh, really?" She sat closer to me, life suddenly flooding into her, noticing my worried expression, "You know, it'll be fine. Jonas did it, he told me."

"Wait, you know?!"

"Yeah...After the earthquake, he was there. He told me everything. He's got my back, Ally, " she grinned at me, "Everything's going to work out, then I can go back to school and everyone will know that it wasn't me. You must've missed him telling me. You left D's place pretty quickly after the earthquake... I don't know if you were confused or..."

"I was..." I paused, remembering my outburst at Alana. That was all Jonas' plan, to try and convince her that I liked Danielle more...To give her a motive for stabbing me, "I was just in shock, y'know?"

"It's okay, Ally. We all get scared sometimes. I don't know how I would have coped without you...everything got so crazy so quickly. This past year has been...really fucking hard, even before the whole stabbing thing, " her blue eyes met mine, "I know the trial will be okay. Then after we can go back to how it was-"

"No, Alana. I have to tell you something," I interrupted her. She already looked hurt. My heart wrenched in fear for what I was about to tell her. The glimmer in her eyes had disappeared and her hand retreated away from mine.

"Please...don't get mad again, Ally," she almost whispered fearfully, "Don't do that to me again."

"That's what I need to talk about, if you just listen for a minute, " I put my hand on her arm, trying to convince her to stop, but she just flinched and kept shrinking away.

"Please, Alana," I begged her to listen, "Just for a minute. This has been ruining me...us for months. If I can just tell you...It will make me feel way better."

"Tell her what?" Danielle was in the doorway all of a sudden, staring me down.

"Um...About the...thing, " I said slowly, raising my eyebrows, hinting at her.

"Oh! The thing!" She exclaimed too animatedly. She set her leather jacket down on a chair and walked towards us both.

"D, what are you two talking about?" Alana urged, "Why doesn't anyone tell me anything?!"

"Alana, I've been doing things with Danielle which...betray our trust, " I blurted out. Danielle glared at me for a second.

"Yep. That's right, " Danielle continued, cutting me off. Maybe she was going to tell Alana?

"Wait...doing things?" Alana asked suspiciously.

"Yeah. We've been songwriting together, " Danielle lied effortlessly, "I know you two like to play music so I told Ally to keep it on the down low. But it's time we told you."

A grin of relief spread across Alana's face. But why would Danielle lie? She told me to tell Alana straight away. Alana immediately took me in her arms and hugged me. I sat limply in her embrace. I feared that I was turning red. I felt so ashamed about betraying and lying to Alana again.

"You mind if I talk to you outside, Ally?" Danielle asked, eyes flicking to the door and back. Alana let me out of her arms and let us go outside. Danielle led me out the back door to the backyard, where an angry Este stood, scowling at me as soon as she laid eyes on me.

"Shit. D. What were you thinking?" I gasped as Danielle shut the door, "We lied to her."

"The question is, what were you thinking?" Este snapped at me, "You fucked D, when you were with Alana. And you only did it to get Alana in prison. If Danielle wasn't here right now, I'd kick your ass all the way back to England, bitch."

"Este..." Danielle looked at her sister and rolled her eyes, "We all know what Ally has done. But this isn't about me, or her for that matter."

"So...Este, you know?" I asked. Este nodded sarcastically, folding her arms.

"We agreed not to tell Alana until after the trial. We need her to think it's all fine. We can't risk her freaking out," Danielle explained coolly.

"Well, it looks like she's going to prison then, " I sighed, exasperated.

"I know something that you don't, " Danielle said solemnly, "And I have a plan."