Chapter 9: Stay Awake

Ally's POV

I rolled over in my bed, in the midst of a sleepless night. Luckily it was Saturday, so I could recover. Alana texted me yesterday evening to plan a trip to In N' Out, since I had never been there before, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I wasn't thinking about the actual trip, it's not like I'm obsessed with food, but every time I'm with Alana she makes me feel complete. All my life I felt like I didn't fit in. My mum used to joke about normal people scaring me, how I was the strange one at school, how I brought bullying upon myself because I wasn't one of them. But to me, everyone was weird. Everyone was the same, no matter how differently they all dressed, they were all unique in their likeness, that's the strangest thing. But with Alana, I feel like we are normal.

A couple of hours later, at around 9am, I got up and fixed myself a cup of coffee to keep me going for the day Alana and I had planned. My mum emerged from her room, eyes red and her hair sticking up on it's ends. I hadn't seen her properly these last few weeks.

"Ally, pour me some of that, will you?" My mum asked, flopping onto the sofa. She was acting quite sober this morning and I passed her a mug.

"I got a job," she smiled triumphantly as I sat down across from her on an armchair.

"That's great mum, really," I replied. Maybe she had realised where she was going wrong?

"It's a shame you don't have the same initiative," her smile turned to a grimace, her words full of malice, "Your brother and I provide for this household. You just exist, nothing more."

"...I'm sorry...I didn't know you wanted me to get a job".

"It's something that you think of yourself, Ally," she gazed at me almost psychotically, "I want you to leave."

"You and that girl..." she paused, deep in thought.

"Alana?"

"Yes. You and her have something which I do not like..." she said, "Just a strange...feeling I have."

"You know what, mum? Fuck you," I slammed my coffee mug down on the table, making her flinch, "I love her. There. I said it. And if you want me to leave because of that, fine. But legally I'm still your child and you will have to support me."

My mum got up and slowly walked to the windowsill, gazing out at our apartment complex.

"You have an hour to pack your bags." She looked at me one last time before walking off back into the depths of her bedroom, slamming the door. I grabbed my phone and rang Alana, it was almost instinctive.

"Ally?" She answered, her voice husky from just waking up.

"Alana, can you come get me?" I said, my voice shaking, "My mum... she...she just kicked me out".

Then she just cut me off, not even a reply, she just hung up the phone. Maybe everyone was abandoning me? Alana wouldn't, surely. To be safe, I looked in my mum's purse and took out all of the money she had in there. I could at least book a hotel if I wanted to. I returned to my room and filled the suitcase I had brought here when I first arrived from the UK. Packing away all of my clothes and belongings kind of felt good. Even if I didn't know where I was going, I knew it would be better than this dump.

A sudden rapid knock at the door made me jump. I hurried over to it. This person just wouldn't stop knocking, it must have been urgent. I opened the door and Alana attacked me with a hug. I was so off guard I fell backwards onto the floor.

"Ally!" she wailed.

"Why are you crying, Lans?" I grinned at her, staring down at me with hair all in her face, red from crying.

"I just heard you on the phone... I had to see you...I'm sorry I hung up on you," She sniffled, "You can stay with us, it's all fine, let's just get you out of this place."

I grabbed my bags and we both hurtled down the flights of stairs to Alana's bike, which was waiting for us at the bottom.

"We're going to have to ride the bike together, aren't we?" I chuckled.

"Hey, you can run next to me if you want," she joked, getting on the bike, and pretending to ride away. I hopped on the back of the saddle and put the suitcase in my lap.

"Hold on!" Alana laughed as I held my arms firmly around her.

We took off, and I looked behind me, back to the apartment. I saw my mum's ghostly face peer out from the window.

"Pedal to the metal!" Alana cried happily as we dipped down a hill and the apartments became a thing of the past. Our hair swept back in the wind and I watched the rolling developments of the suburban houses of San Fernando Valley go by faster and faster as Alana's legs pedalled the bike excitedly.

The bike's long shadow cast on the pavement by the morning sun showed me and Alana on the bike. I waved my arms happily and saw the shadow mimic me. We arrived at Alana's house and I dropped off my suitcase. Donna hugged me.

"You're always welcome here, Ally," she said warmly.

"Hey, I have an idea," Alana said, "I mean, to get your mind off your mom and all".

"What are you thinking?"

"Let's go rollerblading in Venice!".

"Let's do it!" That's what I loved about Alana. Any crazy idea she had I'd be right by her side doing it with her.

---

We arrived back at the Haim residence, tired but content. We changed into pyjamas and settled down to bed after dinner, exhausted. I walked into our bedroom after showering and saw Alana, hiding under the covers. She peeked out and saw me and hid again.

"You're so cute," I said, thinking out loud. She held out her hand for me to join her and so I lay in the middle of the bed, with her resting her head on my chest. I looked down and saw her eyes fluttering, trying to stay awake. I kissed the top of her head.

"Night, Lanzo".

"G'night Al," she mumbled, falling asleep.

That night, sleeping next to Alana, was the best I've slept in months.

---