Chapter 31: See?

Danielle's POV

"...so it's Ally's birthday soon," Alana mused to my mom, as soon as Ally left the room, "I was thinking that we should throw her a...surprise party." I looked up at them both from the newspaper I was reading. Alana was looking at my mom with puppy dog eyes, hands clasped together wistfully.

"She's not supposed to be in contact with you in the first place, Alana," my mom replied, busy ironing some of my dad's shirts.

"Come on, mom," she pleaded, "Just a teeny, tiny, surprise birthday. It'll be on the down low. I swear." Alana tried to catch my mom's eyesight, so that she would see how desperate she was.

"Hmm..." My mom put her hands on her hips, pausing to think. Alana scrunched her hands up into fists, trying to control her excitement, silently hoping and wishing for this surprise birthday party for Ally.

Even thinking about her sent a shudder through me. Though I'm not sure if it was out of disgust. Whenever I saw her there was so much unspoken tension. She would come over and never look at me, or speak to me, as if I were invisible. It kind of made me want to get her attention more. I could tell she still had feelings for me, that much was clear.

She wasn't the same with Alana anymore, not that my sister noticed. She was too in love with her company to notice the subtle differences in Ally's behaviour that I did. I had watched them together for so long. Maybe it was my turn to stop observing and start taking part. I tried to block out dark thoughts like that that entered my mind. She would love me way more than Alana. If only I could relive that night. If only I hadn't chosen my conscience over my heart.

I decided not to tell Alana about Evan and Ally. At least not now, so close to the trial. Ever since I had told the police about Jonas they had been a lot more relaxed. There was no point putting my sister through hell again.

"Hey! Danielle!" Este clicked her fingers in front of my face, snapping me out of my dazed reverie, "You distract Ally, tomorrow at 11 o'clock. Take her out somewhere, it doesn't matter. It's a Saturday, I'm sure there'll be something. Then we'll prep the house for a party, and you bring her back here at 3 o'clock."

"Yeah...sure," I mumbled. Distract her. Dear God. Este and Alana chattered together about Ally's party. The incessant babble of each of them was too much for me to endure, so I retreated to my old bedroom.

How was I going to deal with her for four fucking hours? More importantly, how was I going to resist? I could barely stop myself from repeating the events of that night when she was simply sitting in the house. When we're together tomorrow, something's going to go down for sure.

I shut my door and rested my back against it. I sighed and slid slowly down so that I was sitting on the floor. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I quickly slid it out and read it.

Blake: D. We need to talk about Jonas. Meet me ASAP.

I didn't need any more crap from either of those guys. I ignored the text and threw my phone casually on the floor. Then I actually concentrated on what was in my room. Or rather; who.

I glared up at her. Her face sparked enough hatred in me to last a lifetime. She was standing right in front of my window, curtains billowing behind her in a sudden gust of wind. She returned my hostile look, arms by her sides, hands balling into tight fists.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked weakly, my voice suddenly hoarse. Ally said nothing, just narrowed her eyes further. Her blonde hair was flying in her face wildly.

"Ally..." I flinched just saying her name, "...Just get out." She approached me unblinkingly, arms still poised at her sides.

I backed up slightly, shrinking myself into the door. She kept advancing and I kept shuffling away until the door stopped me, trapping me in her path. She stopped when her legs where centimetres from my face and I had to crane my neck to look up at her.

"Move, then, " she finally spoke down harshly to me. I was annoyed by her hurtful tone.

"Why are you being so...mean?" I asked her, "...Ignoring me. As if I'm as indifferent as the fucking wallpaper."

"I could ask you the same, Danielle, " Ally snapped back, "I know you liked what happened a few nights ago. I know you want to do it again. I see you staring at me whenever I'm with Alana. Are you jealous? Is that what it is?"

"No, I just-"

"Yes you are. Don't lie to me," she interrupted me, "Why haven't you told Alana about me and Evan? There's got to be a reason."

"I didn't want to hurt Alana anymore, "I replied, intimidated by her sudden fierce retorts.

"You don't want to damage what we have, "she gestured, pointing between us, "You won't tell a soul because you want to be with me. I've known it since the last show we played, in the alleyway. Remember the way you looked at me? You had a boyfriend too. Are you a slut, Danielle? Is that it? Jonas, Blake and me? You want it all?"

"We don't have...anything, "I interjected unconvincingly, my voice quiet as a whisper. Ally bent down as if I was a small child and took my cheek roughly in her hand. My back involuntarily arched in a shudder. She gave a wry smile, taking her hand away again, making me long for its touch on my skin.

"See?" She returned to her standing position, "Now. I'm going to go back to Alana. Get out of the way."

I hastened away from the door, letting her open it. She gave one last look before leaving. I dared to look up at her. She met my eyes instantly and winked before shutting the door abruptly.

"Jesus Christ," I sighed, relieved of the tension of the encounter,

"You're 18 years old, Danielle. And a fucking sixteen year old can do that to you." I said this quietly to myself, breathless after simply talking to Ally. It was an understatement to say that I was dreading tomorrow.