1. A Gift of Forewarning

It was dark and cold out and for once in a blue moon, the fangirls had absconded from their beloved Night Class for the warmth of their heated dorms.

There was a bitter wind crashing and biting and snapping at his reddened face and Zero found himself struggling for breath. He was thirsty, so thirsty that he had trouble maintaining safe thought. But for some reason he found himself in complete and utter control of himself. The thirst gnawed desperately at him, but it rang hollow, as if it was not quite his own.

Yuki walked on the opposite side of the path, paying close attention to the back of her dear Kaname-senpai's head, her eyes doey with not-quite-requited love for her crush. Zero was sickened by the thought, but he paid her little mind, focusing his energy on trying to breathe in and out and hopefully not pass out in front of the bratty Nobles, and by each and every second he felt himself failing.

He had been sick for days, and the only thing that had kept him from snapping at every poor soul that wandered his way was the fact that he simply did not have the energy required. He felt so fucking weak, and he was disgusted by it.

They were within sights of the main building when he fell slightly against a neighboring tree, weak in the knees as he struggled to keep his balance.

It wasn't as if Kuran hadn't been feeding him blood- no, the Pureblood always made sure he had enough to retain control. No, this was not by any means similar to his normal physical torment. This was dangerous and he just knew was going to get him in trouble. And soon at that.

He was not wrong as his legs gave out and he fell to his knees with a small groan.

The Night Class had been steadily ignoring him however and continued on until Yuki noticed and gave a concerned yelp as she ran over to his side, drawing the attention of the Nobles and their beloved Prince.

"Zero! Zero, what's wrong?!"

Zero looked up at her briefly as it took a second for her words to sink in fully.

Something wet dripped from his nose and he wiped it away with his hand, staring down at it for a moment, only mildly surprised when it turned out to be blood.

"I have a headache," He muttered distantly and Yuki tried to help hoist him back to his feet but her short stature failed her and they both fell back to the ground.

"Come on, Zero. Let's get to the Nurse's Office." She urged and he nodded pliantly (which he would later deny, when and if he recalled it).

He struggled to his feet and briefly stood tall before collapsing back onto the ground, knocked unconscious from the power of the fall, leaving Yuki to deal with the Night Class alone.

He doubted he would ever hear the end of it, from her or them.

The first thing he is aware of when he comes to is the agony of being ripped apart from the inside out and the outside in as a doctor stood over him, ripping his pale distended flesh into strips with a bright shining scalpel that had probably been used on hundreds before him, doing the same thing to hundreds of women before the man was set loose on him.

Where was he?

Where was Kaname when he needed him? Surely, he should have gotten here by now!

He let loose a scream of bitter pain, where were the drugs? He needed them, and he needed them minutes ago!

He was strapped down and as his blood began to seep onto the cold metal table he began to feel the chill sink into his skin, his flesh, into his very bones. He couldn't escape it and flashes of that night that was so very long ago flooded his mind and he could hold back the tears as biting slices continued into his abdomen.