XII. Nothing Left To Lose

I stared at Thomas, wondering how could someone be as... evil as him? Was he dropped so much as a child that it literally messed with his head?

"Must be nice to have powerful parents," I commented, shrugging. Pamela said that I had to sympathize with him—as if he needed that. But she argued that for Thomas to feel really at ease with me, I needed him to feel like I could understand him.

That I was the only one left.

After all, his best friend just sold him out—well, that didn't really happen, but Thomas didn't need to know that.

"You never talked about your parents," Thomas replied.

"Didn't think you're interested," I shot back.

The side of his lips rose. "Maybe I am."

I laughed. "Oh, Thomas," I said, brushing him off. "We both know you're just interested in me because I'm with your friend. Let's not pretend there's more to it."

Crossing my legs, I cocked my head, challenging him. I knew his game—this was the way to reel him in harder.

"So, what about your parents, Ary?" he asked.

I arched my brow. "What's with the sudden interest?"

He shrugged. "Maybe you're the one who will finally made me quit playing," he said, staring so deep in my eyes that for a second, I was afraid that maybe he'd see the lies I was hiding.

I shifted uncomfortably on my seat. "Both my parents are dead." Well, at least, for me they're both dead. "I had two siblings."

"Had?"

I nodded. "The one was murdered, the other one committed suicide," I answered, looking him straight in the eyes as I did.

But him being a devil, the word suicide didn't even made him feel anything. No reaction. At all.

He just didn't fucking care.

"Your life seems to come straight out of a movie," he commented.

"Well, that's life. A bitch," I answered, shrugging. "But I have my friends, so that's fine," I continued. I stared at him, then took a deep breath as I began the third leg of the plan. "Nagpunta na ba sila Harvey dito?"

He scoffed.

Bingo.

"I mean, I didn't completely understand what happened the last time, but you're still friends, right?"

As I looked at him, I knew that our plan succeeded. Maybe inside his head, he was thinking what we wanted him to think.

Na si Harvey iyong may kasalanan.

"I don't want to talk about that asshole," he said.

"You need a friend, Thomas. Admit it or not, you're going through a hard time. Someone just tipped off the police—telling them about your family's involvement in drugs."

He scoffed again.

Kinunot ko iyong noo ko. Then I acted shocked and disgusted.

Seriously, even I was scaring myself at how good I was becoming at this circus I was playing in.

"You..." I trailed, letting the feeling of disbelief materialize. "You don't think it was Harvey who did that... right?"

If he wasn't thinking that already, then I already planted the idea inside his head. Pretty sure that he'd come to his own terms and blame Harvey for everything.