ROSA - LONGING

He sent a letter every day. Sometimes, two. And yet, he was never able to express all that he desired to. He wanted to embrace her. He longed for the smell of fresh bread that stuck onto her dress. He often reminded her not to be too generous with the pastries although he loves that about her. How would she manage on her own? He hoped that she wasn't starving for the sake of others in this unfortunate age.

Please live. If not for yourself, then for me.

It was the first time he had hated his own blood. He'd rather be a nobody in love with Laura instead of the Great Wizard's descendant. Now, he was locked up far away from his love.

I'm sorry, Laura.

The King needed him to exterminate Arolied. That was all he was told. Sometimes, he was called into a dark room and put to sleep with an amulet dangling from a chain. Once, they had told him terrible lies just to collect his tears. He had been left to starve on some days. On others, he had to chant some spells which he himself could not comprehend. He was sure that no one knew how to even pronounce them. It seemed as if they did not know the exact way to destroy the so called Arolied. It was as though they were hoping to stumble upon a miracle by conducting random experiments.

The man sighed. Staying alive and going back to Laura was all he cared about.

"Levi," she said.

"Levi."

She had called to him dearly on the day he was taken. Oh, how he yearned to hear her voice again.

He had helped her pound the grains to make flour and deliver her pastries to the neighbours. He used to help her with the heavy work and always stayed by her side. Who was it? Who was it that does these things for her now? He missed her.

Please wait for me.