Friends And Fauxs

It was another sleepless night, which didn't put a great start on my first day at school. When I decided that it was a reasonable hour to get dressed, I did. I was ready for school before Allison had even woken up.

"Excited?" She yawned, stretching out over her bed.

"No," I said truthfully, "It's only my fifteenth school since I started preschool."

Allison smiled in understanding. "I feel like this place is different."

"I think you've said that about every place we lived." I grinned, reminding her.

"Well," She tossed the blankets from her legs, "This place is different. And you're gonna like it. Trust me."

"Alright," I agreed half-heartedly as she picked out her outfit for the day.

We pulled up to Beacon Hills High School at half past seven. It was the usual school scene: kids running around, talking about some big game coming up, parties, or the huge test they had today. I was as nervous as I always was for endless amount of first days of school, but this time I had Allison. I didn't have to try to connect with other people and that pushed a little less pressure on me.

I was getting that 'who's-the-new-girl' stare that I had become so familiar with but never quite used to. I was always the girl who wished she could blend in with the scenery, just getting by alone because I was lucky if I ever really got to know anyone.

People were whispering about me as Allison and I walked up to the school. I could feel my face heat up as my nerves started to kick in. My paced increased as I tried to get into the safety of the school. Allison had to jog to keep up.

"Calm down, Cassie," She smiled reassuringly as we entered the brick building. "We'll get your schedule and find your first period. You don't have to go through this day alone." That was nice, but I was always alone no matter how many people were in the room with me. Coming from anyone else, I would have ignored them. But Allison understood. She always got me.

"Class, this is our new student, Cassidy Argent," My first period teacher insisted on introducing me to the class, much to my dismay.

"Cassie," I muttered. "Cassie's fine."

The squat, gray-haired woman ignored me again. "Where can we sit you…?" She tapped her chin with a chubby, gaudy ring-clad finger, examining the room, "Ah! Why don't you take a seat next to Jackson, Cassidy." She pointed that same chubby finger at a good looking blonde leaning in his chair with a bored expression.

I nodded without trying to correct her and gladly took my seat, wanting to get out of the spot light she'd placed me in.

I placed my binder and notebook neatly upon my graffitied wooden desk, well aware that the boy named Jackson was watching me. I glanced up at him, hoping he'd just look away but he only smirked.

"So, Cass. Can I call you Cass?" (Like it mattered if I'd said no.) "You're Allison's cousin, right?"

"Yeah," I answered. He looked me up and down, looking pleased with himself for some reason. "Who are you?" I asked when he didn't introduce himself.

"Jackson Whittemore. Captain of the lacrosse team." I was certain this was supposed to impress me.

I nodded politely. "Congrats."

He narrowed his eyes for a moment before smirking again. "You coming to our game tomorrow?"

"I don't know," I said truthfully. I didn't even know what lacrosse was to be totally honest and my parents had found me a volunteer job at the local hospital that I was starting soon. My parents wanted me to be a doctor, though my heart was totally in it. I was much more of a 'keep-to-myself' kind of girl. As if they didn't know that already (being my parents and all). My real passion in life was writing. I loved literature and hoped one day to be a writer. Of course, that was only if it didn't coincide with my parents ready-made plans for me.