Chapter 4: You Look Cute

Start from the beginning

“Wake up honey, your mother made breakfast.” My father was sitting by my bed, looking at my face.

“Your wife is annoying.” I whispered, pulling the sheets down.

“She cooks, that’s always good.” He said just as low.

I laughed lightly, “How are you daddy, how are you feeling?” I asked sitting up, rubbing my eyes. Two years ago my dad was diagnosed with diabetes, he had a heart attack a month ago, gave us a serious fright. Ever since we’ve been on his case, making sure he feels okay.

“Better than expected, already on my feet now it’s time to-”

“Keep moving.” I finished for him. He always told me that once you are on your feet you have to keep moving. I smiled at him, his small brown eyes seemed glossy with tears. “Dad are you okay?” a inched towards him, putting my hand on his bald head.

“Yeah honey, I’m just reminiscing, you and your brother are my greatest accomplishments.” He smiled.

 “When’s Danny coming over?” Danny was really successful. He was that popular, smart, most wanted guy in high school. A total legend that was taken up from my father’s legend in Fredrickson Tenner High School.

“Yeah, on Wednesday.”

“Awesome, wait…that’s today!” I jumped out of bed.

“Honey wait!” my dad began,

Running downstairs, searching for any stray luggage. Nothing. There was a soft hearty laughter from the kitchen. Aha! The kitchen! I scrambled to the kitchen, running into a back. “Danny?” I asked, he looked to different to be Danny.

Then he turned around, crystal blue eyes twinkling with mischievousness. Tommy.  “Sorry beautiful, wrong guy.” He smiled. Then his eyes trailed, slowly trailing as his smile grew wider. “Planning to go to school like that or have you come to invite me upstairs away from the sudden crowd?” he whispered the last part, eyes shifting about my face, catching every dirty look I sent his way.

I squealed as I looked down, white wife beater, short fuzzy shorts and turquoise colored ankle socks. Holy crap, I’m not even wearing a bra!

“You look cute.” Tommy teased.

“Is that my lil’ sis?” Danny was hollering.

“Danny?” I asked, attempting to look over Tommy’s shoulder.

Danny walked around Tommy, a smile as big and as bright as the sun adorned his flawless face. His bright green eyes were dazzling and cool, his collar length hair pulled back from his spectacular face. “Look at my beautiful sister. Ranch Dressing.” Ranch Dressing was a name some bully called me at school, Danny found out and he beat up the bully but the nickname stuck.

I rolled my eyes, walking into his tight embrace. I smelled him in, so distinct and brotherly, like hair product and cologne. He smelled like my second home.

“Last time I saw you, you had braces!” he joked. People laughed. I froze. P-E-O-P-L-E.

“Danny…how many people are here?” I whispered.

“All of our neighbors.” He whispered back.

I stiffened.

“I’m half naked and no one had the decency to tell me half the town is in out kitchen?!”

“You forgot the hallway and the living room.”

“This isn’t time for a joke you tool!” I quipped.

“Well you should go and get half dressed.”

“Asswipe.” I let go, ducking my head and running up the stairs. Reaching my door, I walked inside. Quickly taking a shower I got dressed in a coral colored sleeveless button down shirt, patterned shorts, sparkly converse and sunglasses. I was about to walk out but then I noticed it. The smooth leather varsity jacket that hung across the back of my chair, I sighed. Slowly I reached for it, my fingers curling around the fabric as my nose dove right into it. It smelled of him. Tommy. He smelled deep, like a blue, a dark navy blue. Mysterious and overwhelming yet calm and beautiful. He smelled like…like…