Chapter 51

Chapter 51 

"Oh, bloody hell, not again," was Harry's first subconscious thought after his 'encounter' with the pillar in the cavern deep in the Forbidden forest. 

It was subconscious since he still had not awakened but as he began to surface from the blackness he passed through that place he had come to know so well. With it came the realization that he was once more flat on his back, most likely in a bed in the hospital wing at Hogwarts. At least he hoped he was and that he wasn't still lying on the rock floor of the underground chamber. He took a moment to try and gather his thoughts. 

Obviously it had been unwise to try to manipulate the force lines he had sensed without knowing what might happen. Equally obvious was the fact that he was faced with something much greater than a student project. Speaking of students, he wondered for a moment how the three sixth years were faring. With Charlie and the three Centaurs he was sure they were in no danger but he imagined they were likely to be a bit shaken up. As he was contemplating this he 'heard' a voice. 

"Harry, my boy, are you there?" 

"Um, yes, Professor," he replied. 

Professor Dumbledore emerged from the swirling mist and stood regarding Harry over the top of his glasses, his hands held together inside the sleeves of his robe. 

"Well, Harry, that was rather spectacular. We felt it all the way here." 

"Did you really, sir? Do you have any idea what 'it' was?" Harry asked. 

"Beyond it being an energy surge of some sort, of enormous power, no, I'm afraid we do not. Would you care to describe what you encountered?" 

Harry told his mentor everything he could remember about what he had found. When he described the lines of energy or whatever they were, Dumbledore's expression became very intent. When Harry explained how he pulled the one wayward line into contact with the others which resulted in the surge and Harry's present state, the old wizard's eyebrows lifted. 

"Astounding, Harry. Once more you present us, by chance or some design, another incredible aspect of our world. One would think that Hogwarts is going to have to add the 'Harry Potter Institute for Arcane Research' to its program," Dumbledore said, his face now sporting a small, wry smile. 

"Maybe I should locate it right next to the hospital wing. The two seem well connected. I assume that's where I am now." 

"That I cannot tell you, dear boy. Our perceptions of the world outside your mind are channeled through you. Perhaps it's time you tried to discover that for yourself. I believe I will go have a chat with our friend Merlin and see if he has any understanding of what you found. Until later, Harry." 

"Alright, Professor, and thanks for looking in on me," Harry replied. 

"My pleasure, dear boy," Dumbledore said and then he turned and walked back into the mist. 

Harry smiled inwardly and then resumed his climb back out of the darkness to consciousness. When he got there it took but a moment to realize he wasn't in one of Madame Pomfrey's sick beds. The sounds and smells were all wrong. As to sights, he wasn't seeing any as something soft and cool was lying across his eyes and forehead. He thought something similar was pressing against the back of his head. His vast experience with being a recently awakened patient told him not to touch anything or make any dramatic movement. He fell back on what he knew worked best in these situations. 

"Hello, I say, is anyone there?" 

Instead of a reply he heard a snort and then the clatter of hooves on a hard surface. While considering the implications of this he heard the sound of a more measured pace of clicking, reminding him of the sound Firenze made when he walked down the corridor between their classrooms. As the sound drew nearer he heard a familiar voice,