Chapter 23

Chapter 23 

The Christmas party had been fun and it served nicely to get Harry in the holiday mood. The next morning he awoke to the sounds of laughing, yelling and barking. He dragged himself out of bed, pulled on a robe and walked out into the corridor to see what was going on. 

"What in the world is going on out here?" he asked. 

"Oh, sorry, Harry," Abagail said. "We were just playing and I guess it got out of hand. Snuffles was taking James for a ride, well, a drag is more like it." 

Harry could see Snuffles standing in the hallway looking back at him, his tongue hanging out and James hanging onto his collar with both hands, his torso resting on the dog's back. Both of the boy's legs were hanging off to one side, his feet just touching the floor. Harry ran his fingers through his disheveled hair and said, 

"I suppose I'll have to get him that saddle pretty soon." 

Abagail laughed a bit and then came up to hug Harry and kiss him good morning on the cheek. 

"You were having a bit of a lie in weren't you? It must have been quite a party last night," she said with a smile. 

"Actually, it was pretty tame. What time is it anyway?" he asked. 

"It's already past ten," she replied. 

"Really? Guess I better have something to eat and then I have some errands to take care of." 

"Left your Christmas shopping until the last minute, did you?" she teased. 

"Just a few special things," Harry said, tweaking her hose with a finger tip. 

With that Harry made his way to the kitchen where he found Nibs already hard at work on his breakfast. Whether by keen hearing or some other elvish sense, Nibs always knew when Harry was coming and would be busy preparing his meals as Harry came into the kitchen. He made sure he ate well in preparation for the chilly walk along Diagon Alley. As he was finishing up Ginny walked in and made straight for the tea pot. As she refilled her cup she looked at Harry with a smile and said, 

"Good morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well?" 

"Pretty well, I guess, since I did just get up," he replied. 

"I think you were more tired than you thought last night." 

"Possibly. I'm going to be gone for a bit after breakfast. I need to take a trip to Diagon Alley," he said. 

"Oh, really? I wonder whatever for?" she said, her eyes dancing. 

"Oh, I imagine you'll find out in due course," he replied. 

Ginny walked over and tilted his head back to give him a kiss on the lips. When she pulled away she said, 

"Don't be too long. It looks like we'll have snow before the day is out." 

"Then I should be on my way. I'll be back soon," he said standing up. "Thanks for the breakfast, Nibs. It was great, as always." 

"Master Harry is most welcome." 

As he left the kitchen Harry considered the fact that Nibs and Dinkle had started to wear the same outfit as Kreacher had adopted. Tan trousers, white shirt and a tan vest. It gave the appearance that Harry had a staff of liveried servants, an appearance that he didn't feel very comfortable with. However, since it also marked them as free elves he felt he could accept it. 

He took his heavy cloak from the 'broom' closet and stepped outside into the brisk, biting chill. In seconds he was standing at his favorite, out of the way, spot near Gringotts. He didn't need to go to the bank today so his first stop was the jewelry store. He opened the door and felt the welcoming warmth on his face.