Chapter 14

Chapter 14 

The Weasley Potter fliers, as Kreacher had called them, were sitting on chairs and blankets on a stretch of lawn not too far from one of the public Quidditch pitches that had been erected on the old farming property in Derbyshire. They were tired but exhilarated. Also in attendance were non flying members of the family that had come to watch and cheer them on. They had just flown their first match as a team and acquitted themselves admirably. Someone less careful with their language would have said that they had just kicked some serious arse. The team they played was a group cobbled together from the younger members of the Ministry office of Games and Sports along with some fellows from QUABBLE. Two hours and forty seven minutes into the regulation three hour game Charlie Weasley had snagged the snitch to win the game by a score of three hundred and fifty to seventy. 

"That was a brilliant grab, Charlie," Harry said by way of congratulations. "I can see you haven't lost anything off your game." 

"Thanks, Harry. It's funny how it all seems to come back to you. Although I don't remember it being this tiring, especially after only a three hour game," Charlie said with a grin. 

"One of the joys of growing older, boys," Mr. Weasley said from his folding chair. "There comes a point where you can still perform like you did when you were younger, but the recovery time is much longer. I wouldn't expect to see much activity out of some of you for a few days to come. But it was a very well flown match. Hard to believe you've only been together as a team for a few weeks." 

"Well, that's not really all that true dad," Bill interjected. "Harry, Ginny, George and Angelina all flew together for years. Ginny and El were teammates for three years as pros, I was with Charlie and Eddie for a few years and most of us have flown together for fun for years as well. Those few weeks were more about reacquainting ourselves and learning how to deal with the new rules." 

"I guess that's true, Bill. Hmm, I wonder if when word of this win gets out if you'll have trouble finding teams to play," the elder Weasley said. 

"I doubt it, but if it did we could always fly in disguise," Bill replied with a grin. 

This got everyone laughing but it was cut short by the sound of lots of yelling from down by the one pitch that was set aside for first come first served play. Two teams were battling it out in the air and two small but considerably vocal groups of supporters on the ground were making most of the noise. 

"Raucous crew if I do say so myself," Mrs. Weasley said from her chair next to her husband. 

Almost everyone in their small group winced when they saw two opposing beaters clash going after a bludger. The collision sent one flier spinning off barely clinging to his broom, shouting curses at his opponent. 

"Rough and tumble style of flying, too," Harry commented. "Reminds me of Slytherin when they weren't so good. Made up for a lack of talent with lots of brawn and bruising." 

"I think we need to make sure that that general purpose building has some sort of infirmary from St. Mungo's if we're going to see much of this sort of play," Eleanor commented from Charlie's side. 

There were nods and a few murmurs of agreement and then Harry said, 

"Well, Mr. Captain, sir. What say we head back to the house and get cleaned up. Lunch is waiting." 

This got even more nods and comments. All the blankets and chairs were gathered up and while Mr. Weasley handled the Disapparation to and from the Quidditch park, Molly was getting an assist from Bill. The longer distance travel was tiring for her and her son insisted on using Side Along Apparation to help her make the journey. With a nod from Charlie they all started popping out of sight as the next group to make use of the pitch they just vacated moved in to start their match.