Chapter Eleven

Hello All! Thank you so much for your continued support! You are amazing! I hope you enjoy the update!

Happy Reading!

><><><><><

"Power," Kenna said, her voice a little breathy. The Sorceress was already performing some of the most complex magic she had ever heard of, she couldn't imagine what she why she would need, or worse, what she would do with more power.

Loki nodded in agreement, pleased she was already following his train of thought. "Power," he confirmed. "Light elves were magic users weren't they?" Loki asked unnecessarily.

It was a well known fact that the Light Elves were some of the most powerful magic users in the universe. They had once been guardians of some of the most ancient wisdom and forbidden magics gathered from all corners of space and time. Other races had often attacked them for their power and knowledge. In the end, it was why the Dark Elves had come.

Kenna swallowed. "Not all of them, but there were power priests and priestesses, yes. Certainly more than here," she allowed and then, because she wanted him to know not everyone was like the Asgardians in their view of magic she pressed on. "Our priests were not just guardians of our religion but also warriors. They were valued for not only their knowledge, but also their strength."

Loki stared down at her, tightening his jaw so she wouldn't see the effect her words had on him. The small elf was more perceptive than he realized. "So where did all of that go?"

"I don't understand."

"When the dark elves attacked and-" he drew off suddenly feeling uncomfortable, he hadn't meant to be insensitive and didn't wish to hurt her with his careless words.

"Everyone died?" She finished for him glibly. There was no anger in her words and that was just as telling had she screamed them at him. There was a strange sense of defeatism to her that made Loki's chest ache.

Loki swallowed. "Yes, and after that where did the magic go?"

Kenna paused. Thinking hard about his question as she worked to remember. Forgotten nights huddled around sad fires with all that remained of her species flickered through her mind. "It was lost," she said with a shrug. "That's what my father always used to say. He lamented the loss of so much power. He often said that without it the Light Elves would never be able to return to Alfheim."

Loki nodded, not surprised some of the surviving military men would begin to develop stories of their own over what had happened. Either way, her father must have been of high rank, the longer he was around the elf the more convinced he was she had been part of the aristocracy. There was something about the way she spoke and her bearing that convinced him she was more than just a common soldier's daughter.

Loki presses his lips together. "But magic doesn't do that." He said. "It can't just be lost, it goes somewhere. It has to. It can never be created or destroyed, its energy."

Kenna tensed at his words as horrific memories surged through her, but she fought to keep her own emotions contained and her face impassive. "Then it must have been taken, by the Dark Elves."

Loki frowned. "Perhaps...But..." he dragged off and he started pacing, his hands clasped behind his back. "The Dark Elves are lost now too."

Ignoring the prince as he was clearly working to think his way through this, Kenna leaned forward and skimmed yet another text. The only sound was the whisper of parchment and the nearly silent tread of the prince's boots as he paced back and forth behind her.