Why?

Clary POV
I rushed into the Infirmary, trying not to pass out from nerves. Jace had been out on a hunt, like usual, just this time, he'd forgotten his gear jacket. He insisted that he'd be fine, that he didn't need one. Oh, how wrong he was. We'd thought it had been only two Shax demons, whereas it was actually two Raum demons, AKA much worse. If it were only Shax demons, Jace would've been fine. But Raum demons are worse, very worse, a lot more dangerous. Magnus was in the Infirmary, trying his hardest to heal Jace, to save him.

"Clary," I heard from the doorway. I jumped up from my spot and ran over to where a solemn Magnus stood.
"What? Is he okay? Let me see him!" I demanded.
"Biscuit, slow down. You can see him, but you have to understand. Jace was badly poisoned when I found him, the poison entered in his upper thigh. Which gives him time. But I couldn't stop it. The poison had been in his system for too long. You have about twenty minutes at most."
No I thought This has to be a nightmare.
I pushed past Magnus into the bright white Infirmary, where my pale, golden solemate lay, unmoving. I scurried over to his side, grasping his hand.
"Jace," I whispered, tears welling up in my eyes threatening to fall.
"Clary..." He coughed. I let out a pained noise.
"Hey, you're okay, it's going to be okay." I tried to assure him.
"You can't stop demon poison.." Jace croaked.
"Hey, Shhh, don't speak, save your breath."
"You have to let me go, Clare," Jace sounded weaker by the second.
"No! I won't! I can't! You're my strong indestructible angel! You can't just leave and expect me to move on!" Clary Screamed, not ready to let her golden boy go.
"Everyone dies, eventually, Clare..." his eyes were slipping shut.
"But you're too young to die!" She yelled.
"I love you, I always have, and I always will..." Jace's breathing was slowing.
"No! Don't leave! Hold on! For me!"
"Say it one last time.... please...." He begged.
"I love you, Jace, I will never let go. Ave Atque Vale, Hail and Farewell." Jace's breathing thinned out, until it stopped. His heartbeat slowed to a faint flutter, until, nothing. Silence.
"No... No... Jace...." Clary murmured.
"No! Please come back!! Jace! NO!" She pleaded, tears spilling out of her eyes like a waterfall. Clary felt a hand touch her shoulder, someone spoke to her, but she just felt numb.

"Clary," Isabelle said in a soft breath.
"Why?! Why Izzy?! Why did Jace go out on his own?! Why did he forget his gear jacket?! Why is he dead?!" Clary screamed as she clutched into Jace's limp hand like a lifeline.
"Oh Clare.." Izzy soothed, hugging her close and rubbing her back. Clary sobbed, never releasing Jace's hand.

Eventually Izzy was able to get Clary back to Jace's old room, where Clary then grabbed his leather jacket and put it on, holding it close, inhaling the sweet scent. Izzy left her to mourn in silence. After Izzy left, Clary just laid down on his bed, and reminisced on the memories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flashback

"Clary!" Jace complained from the couch opposite her.
"Jace!" She mocked, a small smile creeping up on her face.
"I'm bored!" He wailed, half off of the couch, half on.
"We could go to Disney World?" Clary suggested, eyeing her boyfriend's strange position.
"No. Last time we went, you didn't let me punch the Duck Person."
"Well," She considered, "how about this time I will let you punch the Duck person. But only at the end, because we're going to get kicked out."
"Really!" Jace frantically said, making him fall off of the couch entirely. Clary giggled as Jace grimaced and got up, rushing to his room. Clary just smiled and sighed.
Who ever thought she was lucky enough to have a boyfriend as perfect as this one?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

End of Flashback

Clary silently wept on Jace's bed, clutching the jacket around her. Eventually, she fell into a light, pitiful sleep, unknown to the spirit laying with her, his arms around her, trying to comfort her as he would in life. And little did she know, this spirit would never leave her side, not ever.