Chapter Seven: Comfort

I stared at his dark blue eyes, not minding how my gaze travelled down and directed on his ancient mark behind one of his eyes.

It felt like the whole world stopped, giving us the moment to realize that we finally met after all those times of hardship. I didn't even know if I was going to believe the fact that he was already infront of me. Part of me wanted to just forget about everything and wrap my arms around him tightly, but part of me was against it.

Is it really him?

"Erza!!" 

The sound of that voice snapped me out of my trance and I hastily turned around, only to realize it was too late.

The enemies were charging against me. 

 I gripped the hilt of my sword as if my life depended on it before swinging it out infront of one of them, clashing against his sword and used my other arm to requip another rapier. I stepped back and wielded them together, forming a circle in front of me before giving him a final blow.

Just as I was about to face the others, I felt something flash past me. My hand instinctively moved up towards my cheeks, only to feel some blood coming out of the wound.

Damn.

Another enemy took advantage of it. He quickly ducked behind me before I could catch him and in a flash, I felt the tip of his blade pointed at my neck.

Before I could even feel the pain, expecting the sword to be penetrated inside my flesh, someone quickly grabbed my waist and led me away towards the opening where the explosion came from.

The event was so quick that it was hard for me to recap what just happened. Nevertheless, I tried to regain my composure as quickly as possible.

He gracely placed me on the ground.

"Next time, if you wanted to die, don't do it infront of me," I looked up to see Gray, staring down at me with a grim expression.

"You don't need to do that. I could handle myself," I said, trying my best not to act careless.

"Not when you are already dead." He retorted.

I glanced at him and caught an eye of his arm. Before he could even say something more, he looked down at me intently and noticed my concerned expression. He stopped and looked away.

He tried to save me, and, as a result, he got himself wounded. I felt a small pinch of pain in my chest.

"You're arm..."

"It's nothing." he said icily as he walked out of my sight, helping the others.

I looked down, gritting my teeth.

I'm sorry.

"What was that?" I heard Jellal as he appeared behind me, making me flinch.

I found myself gaping at him.

"Nothing" I said.

I was thinking about you. Idiot.
I wanted to tell him those, but I stopped myself.

"You acted a bit careless," He said as he leaned on the wall. There was a pause. "You know..."

I sensed the abrupt change of atmosphere as his midnight blue eyes stare down at me. I knew that something was not supposed to be right.

"hm?"

"Erza..."

I realized there was a small glint of what seemed like to be sadness in his eyes as he stared back at me. That made me feel guilty about nothing. It felt like I had done something so careless that made him act llike that.

"I'm sorry..." he said, looking down.

I  tried to say something to avoid awkwardness. But I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what was coming. I didn't know about anything at all.

I kept quiet and let him spoke.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you," he stated. "Seems like whenever I'm here, you always get in trouble,"

I flinched.

What?

What was that all about?

I instantly opened my mouth to respond but it seemed like there was no voice coming out of my mouth. Instead, I heard myself going to burst out in tears but I held it back.

He started to walk away. The others were out of the dragon's lair before it collapsed.

I watched his back. I wanted to reach out for him. I wanted to tell him that I was completely fine, that all I just needed was him. But all I ever did was watch him. Everything stopped for a while. In my eyes, all I could see was him, turning away from me.

This left me alone in the corner where I stood, unable to move, unable to say something. It felt like it break my heart. It seemed like I just let him get away in just an instant.

I could feel some liquids forming in my eyes. But I tried not to let it out. I wouldn't dare to.

You've been protecting me.

You've been caring for me.

and I know  you've been loving me...

I wanted to tell him to stay. But all I ever heard was his footsteps as he walked away and joined Crime Sorciere, not even glancing back at me for a while.

I was dazed.

What was happening? Did he just walk away?

I felt my knees giving in, letting myself fall on the ground with a loud thump.

"Erza?"

"Are you okay?"

The others inquired with concern as they approached me.

I said nothing for a while before I finally found the strength to speak.

"Yeah," I forced a smile to assure them, trying to calm my shaky voice. "Just... leave me alone for a while."

There was silence... But they nodded obediently and quietly as they started walking away, leaving me where I was planted, understanding the circumstances.

I thought about what Jellal told me earlier. It seemed like I was watching myself in a movie. Does that mean I won't be seeing him?

Does that mean he'll be leaving me again?

Does that mean that I...

That I will never be happy again?

"I can't. I have a fiancè"

I inhaled softly and closed my eyes, having strength to stand up.

I knew that what he told me last time wasn't true. I hope it wasn't.

But...

Maybe..

Just maybe.

Maybe it was another way of saying that I'm better off without him.