Halloween's Ball

Începe de la început

"Alright, you two, into the living room!"

Dad rolls his eyes and lets a puff of air out from his mouth, "Women." (Mom smacks the back of his head for that one.)

Ava doesn't move from her spot, which spurs Mom to eye her viciously. "Aw, come on! You guys never let me in on what's going on!"

"Sorry, sis, this is grown folk business," Gina talks like an old lady as she nudges Ava off with her plate of food. Ava pouts like a baby as she inches out the kitchen, prolonging the exile to the living room.

"She can stay. She's been through enough with the Jackson family too so I think she's earned a seat at the table," I pull the chair back out for Ava who gives me a relieved smile as she scoots back in her chair. She happily munches on her breakfast, waiting for someone to speak first.

"Honey, I really think you should talk things out with Michael." The water once in my mouth is all over the table, making Gina and Ava jump back a bit. Is she crazy?!

"Mo-"

"Now, I know that doesn't sound ideal right now. But think about where Michael is coming from. He obviously still loves you very much." Mom stares at me with sympathetic eyes, grasping one of my hands into her own. I carefully slip my hand from hers, I don't want the sympathy.

"Have you thought that maybe because you two were going to make a major step in the relationship that maybe he got cold feet or something?" Ava suggests, and I immediately get annoyed with her.

If Michael had cold feet, the least he could've done is just avoid me for six weeks or something.

"Cold feet and telling someone you're basically second best to your first love and wants them still doesn't seem like an equal situation, but okay."

"Sweetheart, I haven't known Michael long but I know pretty well that boy doesn't quite communicate everything he's thinking that well. I mean, Diana is someone who he grew up with, she taught him things and so on-from what I read in Michael's book at least."

"That makes me feel so much better, Mom." I give her a sarcastic smile.

"Would you rather have had Michael tell you his honest thoughts after you said your vows?"

"No, but it still hurts, okay? If he knew he was still in love with someone else, even in the back of his mind, he should've never tried to pursue anyone." I should've known better myself but when you have the chance to be involved with someone you've looked up to for so long, you wouldn't pass it up.

A flash of Michael's face the day I left comes to mind. The pain is his eyes and the tears. I shake the thought.

"God, what happened to the kind and forgiving Kendra?" Gina questions with a quiet chuckle under her breath.

"I'm not just my zodiac sign, asshole." I flip her off as I pick at my food. The warm French toast and eggs looked delicious but this conversation was making me lose my appetite quick.

"Y'all better quit with that language in front of Ava! Kendra, talk to the boy so he can stop calling me to get to you."

"I have a fundraiser coming up soon and I want you to meet him there on common ground." What common ground could there be when he pulled it all out from under me? Is what I wanted to say but I held my tongue.

"Fundraiser? For what?"

"Nancy Reagan."

"What does she need money for?"

"Don't be dense!" She slaps me on the side of the head, "Her Just Say No campaign. My company is hosting it and I'm organizing it." I roll my eyes; Mom and her organizing could be enough to drive anyone up the wall.