CHAPTER THIRTEEN

( CHAPTER THIRTEEN: SHATTERED SCREAMS )

               MARIELLA HAD GROWN TO enjoy listening to the excitement that dripped the words leaving the lips of Slughorn. His ways of teaching had taken a toll on the way she had mastered the art of learning and understanding certain aspects of the material, without having to put too much effort into it when she came around to studying for it.

It just so happened to be one of the many reasons why she never enjoyed speaking during her potions lessons due to this skill that she tried to perfect. For this academic year, she had been seated beside Severus Snape, just as it had happened to be like as such from the previous year. Neither had talked quite often to consider themselves as acquaintances to the very least rather than friends and both parties seemed quite fine with that fact.

But there had been something about Severus' characteristics and personal traits that intrigued her slightly.

She was aware of the hatred he had towards most of the marauders and the fact that he was never fearful of the opinions he had on any of them. He had a valid reason to do so. So she found watching his reactions to James and Peter conversing discreetly about the said boy just as interesting as scribbling down notes from her textbook assigned to them the summer before September.

               The bespectacled boy still held an ounce of hated towards the girl in question and in all honesty, she could not care less of what he said about her. There were far more important things on mind and far more important things that overtook her thoughts that she had to attend to. James just so happened to be collateral damage that could easily be discarded if worst came to worst. She knew she wouldn't enjoy having to put him down if he decided to twist himself into her plans.

               When homework had been set ( to her lovely delight ) and class had been dismissed after the silence that followed when Horace had decided to let his students go, Mariella had only made it a few metres past the classroom door before she had seen James and Peter gang up on Severus in the corner of the corridor, both boys narrowing their eyes and curling the corners of their lips into cynical smirks that made her stomach contort with anger. She had hoped that their last year of Hogwarts would become the epiphany that the marauders needed to mature and understand that bullying a boy that just so happened to hold feelings for the same girl he did, would not like him any more if she heard of the current issue.

               Regardless, she had stood still and watched the moment unravel with each passing second, folding her arms over her chest as she tried to understand the outcome that the boy was trying to receive. "Hey, Peter?" He asks his fellow friend, his over-confidence ruling out the fact that the large boy was already beside him, trying to hold in a belt of laughter as he watched Severus try to manage a stoic impression. "Did you happen to hear the announcement made a few hours ago during Breakfast?"