Chapter 22 - The row

Spending some more quality time together, Arnav and Khushi were now descending down to their family. It seemed as if a red shade had been permanently imprinted on Khushi's cheeks and Arnav showed expression which was nowhere close to hers. No sooner had they appeared before the family, rounds of applause had been heard.

"Welcome back, lovebirds!"

"Khushi literally sprinted towards her Arnavji. I suppose that is what unstoppable love's called."

"Was your rendezvous well spent?"

"Look, look! Her cheeks are crimson!"

"She must be feeling too hot. Somebody turn down the temperature."

Naughty young batch didn't want to miss another chance at having fun. Arnav exhibited no emotion but his eyes screamed that he was enjoying this fun, only because it was Khushi who had been their target this time. Khushi shot a furious glance at Arnav who took the brilliant decision of not meeting her eyes, suddenly interested in scanning the patterns of walls.

"Alright, alright, stop for a bit!" Akash started, "I've got something to say."

He gently led Payal towards Arnav and Khushi and stood next to them.

"Bhai, Saali/Bhabiji, you've taken enough of limelight today," facing everyone, "Now it is our turn."

They frowned, not getting what Akash was saying.

He whispered to Payal, "Shall we reveal?"

She nodded, blushing, eyes locked to the floor.

"We are going to be parents!" Akash announced.

The next second, Shantivan erupted into squeals of merriment and laughter. Everyone rushed to congratulate the to-be-parents. As Akash and Payal stood smiling, Buaji joined Nani in warding off evil eyes; Mama, Buaji, Garima and Shashi heartily blessed them, Mami was crying in happiness; Arnav, Anjali, NK and Lavanya hugged them both. Khushi, on the other hand, was jumping nonstop in joy.

That day couldn't get any better.

"Now why are you sad?" Mama asked Mami who suddenly fell silent.

"Will....will they call me, this ever-young Manorama, 'Dadi'? Our Grandchildren?" Mami stuttered in his ears, taking care nobody around her listened to what she had said.

"Obviously!" Mama said cheerfully to which Mami shushed him urgently.

NK shouted on the top of his lungs, "My dearest Masi has been promoted to Dadi!!!!!!!"

Everyone laughed.

Mami's flying slipper chased NK all around Shantivan.

~*~

It was now past 9. The Guptas and Lavanya had left long ago. Raizadas had had dinner and retired to their rooms. Everybody was thoroughly exhausted after the long day, but that weariness stood no chance before the contentment they all felt.

"He would love to help you, Buaji. No Problem. Good night," entering NK's room, Arnav hung up the call.

"Was that Buaji, Nannav?" NK questioned warily.

"Yes," he said, standing right before NK who was munching on chips. "She is planning to go somewhere tomorrow. There's a lot of work and she doesn't want anyone to help her."