01 - Back Home

Tere Sang Yaara
Chapter One

. . .

Back Home

Beneath the grey cloudy sky, where the sun was kept hidden and the birds were nowhere to be seen, the door of a white pristine mansion was being pushed open.

He was covered with his luggage, two suitcases in each of his hands, one shoulder bag around his neck and one mini rucksack hung on his back. He was tired, sleepy and drowsy, taking more steps towards the entrance were being a little difficult for him.

Inside the mansion, the staff were wondering around with different items in their hands and they only stop in front of one woman, who was dressed in a blue Saree which covered her head.

"Take this there and Ramdeen, you take that to the stairs." The two nod and walk away, following the order set by the lady.

She moves her gazes to instruct few more staff but looses that motivation to utter as her eyes fall on a long white line drawn down the hall, her gazes follow the line to the end, which had divided the mansion into two sides.

"Annapurna." She glances towards the person who said her voice and sees her husband walking down the stairs and towards her. "Are the arrangements done?" He asks and she nods her head to respond.

"Just the flower basket is left to come and then everything would be ready Ji." She utters with a faint smile which had curled up her lips.

"Hmm." He hums understandingly, "The guests should be here any minute, has Lakshya returned?"

Annapurna was about to reply to her husband, Durga Prasad, but stops as soon as her eyes land on a figure stumbling on the stairs, looking drained and exhausted. It was as if life is being sucked out of him and he could drop any minute now. He exhaled and inhaled, catching his breath.

"He's right behind you." She softly said and Durga Prasad turned, seeing his son Lakshya, drop his bags and wiped his hand over his forehead to wipe the sweat.

As he was exhaling, his eyes fall on the white line that was dividing the house into two sides. 'This means Uttu was right, the house has really been divided.' Lakshya thinks in his mind, surprised, saddened and curious to know what went wrong.

"Why are you standing there?" Durga Prasad's strict tone brought him back from his thoughts and his gaze shift to his father. "Go get changed!" He ordered in his stern tone, making Lakshya sigh.

"Instead of saying 'go take rest beta' you're telling me to get changed?" Durga Prasad ignores his words and Lakshya grabs onto his luggage once again, dragging himself and the bags up the stairs as he heads towards his room. "What was I expecting, I thought they would welcome me back with hugs but no." He complained to himself bitterly and frowned.

Annapurna, who had a faint smile curled on her lips realises something. "Ji. . ." She called and Durga Prasad turns towards her. "Are you sure he would agree? Why don't we just tell him and. . ." Annapurna continues but stops as she senses Durga Prasad's dismay.

"Now do I need to learn from you? Would you like to teach me what I need to do and what I don't?" Durga Prasad raised his tone while he uttered, looking down on his wife Annapurna, embarrassing her.

Annapurna lowered her gaze and shook her head negatively, embarrassed and ashamed to meet his eyes. His behaviour was no shock to her anymore, as this was how he had been since the first day of their marriage. It did hurt her several times during the first year of marriage, she had no choice but to adjust and compromise, and now him speaking like that merely causes an embarrassment. She had never been respected by Durga Prasad, yet still hopes that one day he would.