The Final Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Then another thought hit me... I just ripped up a cool million. I would have been set for life. Cramps riddled my stomach as I thought "I'm a complete idiot. What fool trashes a million bucks".

I'll be damed if I swallow my pride and go apologize and ask for the check back. Stupid, stupid, stupid me. What's done is done, no redoing it. Just as well start getting excited because in a few hour's I'll be home, back in my surroundings, be with my family and friends, living my life once again.

I sat on the bed thinking about all that has transpired in the past several month's. Finding Severo, bringing him home, discovering he was a mafia God, my capture and I broke down. After my breakdown I was riddled with guilt over the secret I held. The secret I shared with Carmen. Yes, I know I wanted him to suffer at one time and maybe a small part of me still does, but because of the person I was, my good intentions and honest ways I couldn't leave this place without letting him know.

But... I was to scared to say it to his face for fear of him not believing me and keeping me here. Searching through a few drawers, I came up with a pen and scrap piece of paper. I started scribbling down what he needed to know.

"Severo, this is my last secret in the dark to you. I know who is plotting against you, who wants you dead. Back when I was in kept as your prisoner Carmen came to me. She wanted me dead because I found and rescued you. She still plans to have you killed. All for money. She wants your money. She's not working alone and I don't know who she's working with. I know your wondering why I never told you. It's because I'm scared of you. I was scared you wouldn't believe me and keep me here or worse. I hope you find this note in time.

Avery T.

Opening my door, I peeked into the hall to make sure no one was about. Seeing that all was clear, I gently padded down the hall to the piano room. I knew he came in here often at night and just sat at the piano. Lifting the door that covered the key's, I laid the note firmly down. He was sure to find it here and I'd be long gone. Away from him and his wrath at my announcement. I just hoped he believed me and checked into it.

Then it struck me, what if when he finds it he comes after me again. I must retrieve that note. I rose to go back and get it, but soon as I opened the door, the maid was there with my lunch. "Hope your hungry Miss Tanner. Mr. Marietta told us nothing but the best for you duiring your stay. Today we have brought you a fresh crisp salad accompanied with spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast and a side of vegetable melody. Dessert consists of a hot fudge brownie sundae and a dish of grapes per Mr. Marettia's request. I do hope you enjoy".

Mumbling a thanks, I took a bite just to satisfy her and get her out of here. Waiting several minutes, I attempted to retrieve the letter again but soon as I stepped out the butler turned the corner. "Oh, miss Tanner. I'm sorry to disturb you but I'm here to gather your bags and take to the car".

"No need. I have nothing".

He glanced around at all the fancy materials. "But Miss Tanner, Mr. Marettia will be upset if you don't take his gifts along".

Smiling sweetly I said. "It's okay, there just borrowed item's, not gifts. I have nothing to take".

Nodding his head in confusion he backed out and retreated. Then I heard the maid out in the hall vacuuming the rugs and knew I couldn't do it now. Just as she finished up the butler was back. "Your car awaits miss".

Knowing I'd never get the note back, I rose slowly and glanced around the room putting it all to menory. A time I wanted to forget but also remember. Stepping out, I followed the butler from the private floor down to the waiting car. There stood Severo with two other men. "My men will be escorting you out. I will bid my farewell now. Best of luck miss Tanner."

"Same to you Mr. Marettia". I said a bit on the salsay side.

One of his men approached and went to place a scarf over my eye's. Backing away I asked. "What are you doing?"

"Relax". Severo said. "It's just a precautionary measure to ensure my safety. No one must know where my home is located. You must be blindfolded so you don't remember the way here. Once you reach the city limit the scarf will be removed".

I gave him a weary glance not sure if I should trust this. Maybe their carting me off to finally kill me or dump me far into the desert.

"Rest assured, you are going home. You are safe. You have my word".

When he said that last sentence I felt somewhat safer. Standing still, I allowed the man to place the blindfold over me. My eye's clung to Severo's eye's and I wanted him to say something so badly. To stop all this and run off with me... anything. Finally blackness and the scarf broke our connection.

I stood there waiting for the next move, but everything was still except I heard feet shuffling off, more than one pair. Then I heard the crunch of gravel as someone approached me and I knew it was him. Placing his finger underneath my chin, he whispered.

"My last secret in the dark. Had we met under different circumstances I would have loved you".

I didn't know what to say. My heart thuddered rapidly. Before I had a chance to even reply, I felt his lips on mine. The kiss was so sensuous yet said goodbye at the same time. Parting his lips from mine, he whispered. "Goodbye sunshine".

"Severo". I whispered and heard a gruntal sound as I was placed in the car. Seconds later I felt the car move forward and away from the Hacinda, from him.