Chapter 6

The hollow became dead silent. Fernstar's heart pounded in her chest. Who died? Quickly, she scanned the clearing. Sighing in relief, she noticed the only cats of hers gone were Leafpaw and Fallowfern, who had not participated in the fighting.

Padding toward the noise, she and Bramblestar investigated. She saw the white she-cat with ginger splotches bent over the gray-and-white tom that Fernstar had attacked at the beginning of the battle.

A brown tabby she-cat with white patches flung herself forward. "Ambermoon! Are you okay?"

Ambermoon nodded solemnly. "But, Lilyheart! Dewnose didn't make it..."

Lilyheart screeched in grief, burying her nose into what Fernstar assumed was her son's pelt.

"Molewhisker didn't either!" A fluffy ginger she-cat cried out from where she hunched over a lifeless body of a cat.

Bramblestar turned on the Skyclan leader, rage brimming around his amber eyes. "Two of my cats dead!" He shrieked. "Was that worth it?"

Fernstar shrugged. "It depends." She whirled around as she heard yet another screech of grief. This time, though, Fernstar recognized as her mother's voice.

"Dewfrost! Don't leave me..." Cloudmist whimpered.

Fernstar dashed over to see her father covered in blood and scratches.

Dewfrost was gazing at Cloudmist with loving eyes. "Take care of our kits for me." He drew in one last shaky breath before his flanks grew still.

Amberleaf and Prinkleleap bounded over. "Dewfrost!" Fernstar's sister cried.

Fernstar hung her head and slowly turned back to Bramblestar. "Yes," She whispered boldly. "It was worth it."

Cloudmist turned on her. "How could you say such a thing! This was your father. He cared for you. He was your deputy!"

Fernstar gazed sympathetically at her mother. "I realize that, Cloudmist. But I also believe this was supposed to happen. He was getting older anyway."

"He was younger than me!" Cloudmist snapped.

"I know. But I think Starclan planned this as his time." She dipped her head to Bramblestar, "As it was also Dewnose's and Molewhisker's. Dewfrost was in with the plan from the beginning. He knew there was a chance of death, but he still fought for me. He was a loyal deputy and a loving father too. Even though in all we have lost three cats, I will still fight for the right to territory!"

"Fernstar! Fernstar!" Fernstar's clanmates cheered encouragement to her.

Bramblestar bared his teeth, "You can have everything past the abandoned twolegplace for all I care! I don't think it's worth it anymore." He turned on his paws and stalked away toward his den. Glancing over his shoulder he called out, "Sandstorm, Millie, Graystripe! Bury the fallen."

Fernstar gazed thoughtfully at her battered clanmates. "We have victory!" She yowled. She flicked her tail and grabbed her father's body by the scruff. With the help of her littermates and mother, they half carried him, half dragged him out of the hollow.

* * *

"Your back!" Fallowfern exclaimed. "How did it go?"

Fernstar let go of Dewfrost's scruff. "We got victory, but lost Dewfrost."

Fallowfern gasped. "What happened?"

Fernstar glanced at her clanmates. She hadn't seen who Dewfrost had last been fighting.

Skyclan cats glanced at each other, questions in their tired eyes.

Finally, a small gray-and-white she-cat padded up to the front. "I know who! I saw him tackle this ginger she-cat. I heard them call her Squirrelwing or something."