Prologue

Pawsteps sounded, echoing against a stone hollow. A long furred, dark gray she-cat turned her deep yellow eyes toward the cat plodding forward.

"It's peaceful here isn't it?" The newcomer murmured. The moonlight dappled gray patterns onto his flame colored pelt.

"Indeed it is, Firestar." The yellow-eyed cat rasped. "What have you come here for?"

"I have a prophecy that Cloudstar and Skystar told me to deliver." His voice grew high pitched like an overly excited kit.

The old she-cat heaved herself to her paws and shook out her scraggly, knotted pelt. "Why couldn't he have come himself?" She grumbled, "Why have the hyper excited kit do it?"

"I'm not a kit, Yellowfang!" Firestar snapped at her.

Yellowfang eyed the orange tom. "Really?" She croaked, her voice thick with sarcasm. "Well, you're sure acting like it!"

Firestar stopped fidgeting immediately. Clearing his throat he recited what Skystar had told him. "'Kits are soon to be born. These youngsters hold one of the most important prophecy: After all is settled, a surge of darkness will remain. Shining through the darkness, a spark alone will calm the waves.'"

Yellowfang gazed at him, puzzled. "What does it mean?"

Firestar tipped his head. "I think you exactly what it means, Yellowfang. We have seen it coming for a while now."

The old, yellow-eyed cat nodded solemnly. "Is that all he said?"

"Yes. Don't tell Fernstar right away though. Wait until the time is right." With that, he turned on his paws and dissapeared into the rising mist.

Yellowfang stared at the pool in front of her. She tapped the water with her paw, sending ripples spreading to the edge. A scene unfolded in the sparkling surface. Yellowfang saw the Skyclan leader clinging onto the back of the Thunderclan leader. The mangled she-cat shook her head sadly as the battle went on in front of her. "Poor thing doesn't know what's coming her way."