Chapter 12 - Elliot

When I woke up a three days after the OSHU presentation, I realized that it was my birthday. After a moment of disbelief, I glanced at my phone and felt my jaw fall open.

8:26 am. November 29th 2018.

Well how about that.

When I finally went downstairs, I realized that I was like the only one who had forgotten. The moment I stepped off the last stair, ten faces popped out from various hiding spots around the house and yelled, "SURPRISE!" I flinched hard, my ears hurting from the sudden blast of sound.

"Dude! The big 17! How does it feel to be the official dancing queen?" Sam cried, ruffling my hair. I glared at him. Finn popped out from her spot behind the couch and slung her arm over my shoulder.

"About time you joined the big kids," she laughed. I turned my glare to her, remembering that she had turned 17 months ago. She was old for our grade – her birthday had been in April, and yet she was still in my grade. She could've easily been in Sam's.

"Hoo hoo hooray. It's my birthday," I replied with a monotone voice, but a smile was spreading across my face. My parents came up to give me a hug, then handed me a small package.

"Can't have a birthday without presents," Darren teased. I raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

"It's literally like eight thirty in the morning," I huffed. My family didn't move. I huffed, then ripped open the Spiderman wrapping paper. After a moment of struggling with the box, I was staring down at a fancy pocket knife.

"So?" my uncle pushed. With tentative fingers, I pulled out the knife, marveling at the smooth wooden handle. With a flick, a small short black slid out. It gleamed in the morning light.

"Thanks," I breathed. Finn was grinning, elbowing my uncle.

"Told you he'd like it," she whispered. I caught her words, giving her a look, but she just grinned back at me.

I quickly thanked everyone again before relaxing and walking back into the kitchen. Things returned to normal, and we all filed into the room for breakfast. Food was passed around, and then the next thing I knew was that I was heading back up to my room to get ready.

The day passed fairly fast, considering it was my birthday. I kept the knife in my jeans pocket, sometimes pulling it out to flip it around. I kept it out of Charlie's or Lucas's hands, but whenever I had a moment alone it was out and flicking around.

It was about five o'clock when a large sound blared from outside. Like an alarm. Bursting up from where I had been sitting on the couch, I ran to the window. Smoke was rising in the distance.

My dad came running in after a moment, his eyes filled with worry.

"Dad? What's happening?" I asked quietly. My father rubbed a hand over his face before backing from the window.

"Pack your things. They've been attacked." He ran out of the room, raising the alarm through the house. I stared out the window, watching fire roll throughout the dark clouds of smoke rising. My heart sunk. Everything had been going so well until now. So you stupid phasers attack on my birthday? Thanks a lot...My bitter words narrowly escaped my lips and luckily stayed in my head.

"El? What's happening?" Charlie's little, puberty vulnerable voice called out. I turned to see him coming down from upstairs. His long hair stood straight up, as if he had woken up from a nap.