Chapter 1 - Finn

"-up in Augusta Maine a 46-year-old man was apparently under the influence of a new virus when he suddenly attacked a small cafe at gunpoint. Nobody was hurt, but after investigation, it seems that a new epidemic has arisen up in the north. Not much is known about this disease. However, scientists are saying that it deteriorates brain tissue and makes one go psychologically mad. More on this will be on KEYT later tonight..."

I wasn't paying attention to the TV in the library, but looking back on everything now, I probably should have been.

Instead, I was procrastinating my English essay while eating Red Vines in the library. My fingers were sticky from my favorite treat, but it was Elliot, my best friend, who looked like he had fallen into a candy-induced trance.

"Elliot! El!" I snapped my fingers in front of his face, snapping him out of the trance he had been in. He blinked twice, and then turned to look at me with his electric blue eyes that I had always envied.

"What?" He mumbled, glancing back down at his computer screen. I guessed that his unfinished essay was taunting him, laughing at both of our horrible procrastination habits.

"Are you coming over tonight? For the party?" I asked, twirling my silver pen between my fingers like a drumstick. Elliot nodded, giving up on his essay and slamming his laptop closed. I chuckled.

"Yeah, I'm getting a ride home with you right?" Elliot said. I distantly heard the bell ring outside the library, just as I nodded back.

"That's what I thought. Gwen and Carter are coming with us too - there's gonna be a big bonfire tonight at my place. My parents have a bunch of friends in town," I explained as I grabbed my backpack. Elliot followed suit, hot on my heels as we bee lined out of the library.

We met up with Carter and Gwen, who were Elliot's and my best friends besides each other.

"Who's driving?" Carter called as he walked up, his golden hair flashing in the sun. I gave him a funny look, then swung my car keys in the air in front of his face.

"Me, duh. My car - I drive." I teased, shoving Carter lightly with my shoulder. He flashed me a grin, then slid into the backseat next to Elliot. Gwen hopped into shotgun, her long ebony hair falling like a waterfall down her shoulder. I tossed my backpack into the trunk, then slid into the front seat and started my car.

It wasn't a very impressive car, especially considering that my parents did have lots of money. It wasn't impressive because I had bought it with my own money, instead of borrowing some from my parents like my brother. It had enough room for five people as well as room for instruments - my hobby was playing shows around town.

"Turn the music up," Elliot called from the backseat, leaning forward to reach the stereo. I slapped his hand back, grinning.

"Driver picks the music child," I called, laughing at the playful annoyance in Elliot's startlingly blue eyes. His uncut hair cascaded down the back of his head and curled at the base of his neck, but I ignored his horrible puppy eyes and flicked on my own music.

The ride was not incredibly long, but we had to stop at a gas station to refill. The boys ran in to grab food and drinks, non-alcoholic of course, but we were back on the road fairly quickly. When we pulled up to my house, I could see that our large front doors were already pulled open to let air through the house.

"Ok, out out out," I called, grabbing my keys and sliding out of the car. Carter and Elliot grabbed our bags.

"Oh look at the gentlemen!" Gwen teased, and we shared a wink. I caught Elliot's eye a moment later and grinned, but then he threw my backpack at me.