Chapter thirteen

When we got to the hospital, they took DJ from me and took me to my own room away from him. I panicked a little but that was when I noticed the cramps.
My stomach was in knots and it hurt pretty bad. No no no. I can't lose this baby. I can't. I heard yelling and I knew it was Dean trying to get to us. I had tears in my eyes as he opened the curtain to my room. He looked immediately worried as he saw me in a ball, crying.
"Lucy? Lucy what is it?" I didn't answer. I just squeezed my eyes shut and cried a little harder. "Someone please help!" Dean yelled out to the nurses. They all came running in, asking so many questions that I couldn't answer. Dean had to do it for me.
One nurse had me hooked up to a fetal monitor while another was getting an ultrasound machine. To say I was terrified was an understatement. I looked to Dean and the terror on his face was all too readable which made me feel worse.
Finally after what felt like forever, a doctor came in, signaling all the nurses to leave. He read the papers from the baby's monitor and started using the ultrasound machine on me. He studied the screen, not saying a word, not making any noises or faces that could clue us in on the condition of our baby.
Finally, he turned it off and faced us.
"Your baby looks okay. You're not having a miscarriage but the situation being as it was, you were under a lot of stress and that's what caused the discomfort and cramping. I'm going to keep you overnight just to make sure everything is hunky dory and you can go home tomorrow but you are on bed rest for at least a week. Come to my office in a week and we'll see how the little one is doing. Do you have an OB/GYN?" I shook my head.
"I went to see a doctor a couple of weeks ago when I found out I was pregnant but I haven't officially seen an actual baby doctor. I haven't had the chance to look for one." I explained, still somewhat in pain.
"Okay, here is my card. Like I said, come to my office in a week. I'll have the appointment set up before you leave in the morning and we'll go from there." I just nodded, Dean taking he card. "Get some rest. You'll be checked on again soon." He smiled before leaving. I looked to Dean and sighed with relief. Our baby was safe and so were we.
"Someone wants to see you guys." We heard same say as the curtain was pulled back and DJ come running in.
"Mom, are you okay? What's this?" He asked, pointed at my stomach.
"That's a fetal monitor. It lets us know how the baby is." He nodded, looking at it. I smiled up at Dean, grateful we have our son back. The weight lifted from our shoulders. We can finally breathe.