Chapter 2

"Try putting a little weight on it." Pebblestep instructed. "Just don't push yourself too hard." Honeypaw watched as Snakewhisker attempted to put his hind leg on the ground and walk. As his paw stepped firmly on the ground he winced and quickly eased up on the pressure.

"It still hurts." Snakewhisker mewed, pain lining his mew. "Shouldn't my leg be healed by now?"

Pebblestep walked to Snakewhisker's side, sniffing his leg. "Broken bones take time to mend, some take longer than others." She replied. "And it may not heal completely."

"What do you mean it won't heal completely." Snakewhisker turned to Pebblestep with shock in his eyes.

"Calm down, Snakewhisker." Pebblestep flicked his ears with her tail. "I said may, not that it won't. Broken bones are hard to heal, I understand that you've been confined to the medicine cat den for a long time but you need to be patient, this isn't something that can be rushed."

Snakewhisker let out a heavy sigh and sat down, favoring his injured leg. Honeypaw felt a stab of sympathy for the gray warrior, he had been out of warrior duties for two moons, though she personally liked having him around. Snakewhisker was easy to talk to, and he gave her advice when she needed it.

"Honeypaw," Honeypaw looked up as Pebblestep said her name. "Why don't you walk Snakewhisker out to get some fresh-kill, make sure he takes it easy and tell me how it goes." Honeypaw nodded and stood up, she padded over to Snakewhisker and helped him to his paws.

"Let's go." Snakewhisker mewed, he was always excited when he got to leave the medicine cat den, which wasn't very often. Honeypaw walked beside him, not giving him support but being close enough in case he needed it.

"How does your leg feel?" Honeypaw questioned, watching as Snakewhisker barely applied any pressure on his broken leg.

"Painful and stiff, like normal." Snakewhisker replied as they left the den. "I wish it would just heal already."

"I know, Snakewhisker." Honeypaw nudged him gently. "But it will with time, and you'll be back to warrior duties before you know it."

Snakewhisker lowered his head, a darkness in his green eyes. "That's just it, even when I can walk on it again I still won't be able to handle heavy warrior duties, and it may not even heal properly." Honeypaw looked at the ground, she prayed to StarClan that Snakewhisker would be back on his paws before too long. "I'm getting too old for this." He sighed.

"You're not that old." Honeypaw mewed, with a slight laugh in her voice. "You're still a strong, capable warrior."

Snakewhisker snorted. "Not right now I'm not." He let out a yawn. Honeypaw and Snakewhisker came to a stop when they were greeted by Adderstrike and his apprentice, Pikepaw.

"Look who's out of the medicine cat den!" Adderstrike greeted his father cheerfully. "How are you feeling?"

Snakewhisker lifted his head. "Better everyday." He replied. "Soon I'll be back into warrior duties alongside you."

Adderstrike purred. "Maybe you can give me tips on training Pikepaw, he's got a lot to learn." He nudged the dark ginger apprentice.

"Hey!' Pikepaw protested, glaring up at his mentor. "I'm gonna be the best apprentice around!"

"Well, I'm your mentor so of course you are." Adderstrike lifted his head confidently, then laughed with his apprentice.

"I'm proud you got an apprentice, Adderstrike." Snakewhisker purred. "Soon you'll be training him along side your daughters."

Adderstrike's eyes glowed and he looked past Honeypaw and Snakewhisker at the nursery behind them. "I know, they're so excited to become apprentices."