Will You Be My Girlfriend?

Sheldon returned to his apartment, a cat from build-a-bear in his arm. He was happy. More happy than he had been in a really long time. He had picked a black and white cat to dress in a train conductor outfit and had named him William Murdock after the man who invented the first steam locomotive prototype. He had informed Carly of this on the way home and had gone into detail about how the train had come to what it is today.

He noticed as he walked through his apartment that Leonard was nowhere to be found and he assumed that he was out with Penny. Sheldon noticed the time and that it was time for dinner and he hurried into his bedroom to place his cat on his bed. When he returned to the main area he stopped, realizing that he hadn't offered Carly for dinner. She had gone to all that trouble to make him have a good day, he could have at least asked her to come over.

He hurried out of the apartment and found himself getting anxiety as he walked down the stairwell. It was odd and he stopped on the third level, staring down at his hands that were beginning to sweat and feel clammy. He hadn't felt this way since he had to make that speech about an award that he had been given at the university…and that had ended badly with alcohol. He shook himself and continued down the stairs towards the second level. Carly's smiling face flashed into his mind and he began to think about how she was with the animals. He hadn't known she was such an animal lover. She was so…gentle. It made something in him stir and he found himself breathing rapidly when he stopped at her door.

He licked his lips, staring at the door for a moment. He was confused with himself. Why was he acting this way? He had asked her to dinner before. Why did it feel different this time? He took a step back and looked at the light peering underneath her door. He saw no shadow so she wasn't near the door at the moment. He placed his hand on his heart, feeling it race.

Was this what Leonard felt when he had been pining for Penny? Wait. Was he pining for Carly? It was true that he thought her nice to be around and he agreed her skin was decent. He was astonished with his next thoughts. She was pretty. It was more than just her skin now. Her hair was silky looking and her eyes were the colors of the sea, neither blue nor green: both.

He raised his fist to knock, inwardly smacking himself for being pathetic and he was surprised to see the door swing open suddenly. His eyes widened and he saw Carly with her hair a little disheveled as if she had run her hands through her hair many time. Her eyes were at alert and she was staring at him in a way he had never seen before.

What happened next was completely unexpected. Her lips were pressed against his and he froze up like a popsicle. It was over before he knew it and he eyes were still wide and his lips were ajar from the kiss. She fell to the bottoms of her feet and looked up at him, panic starting to set in.

"Interesting," he muttered.

Carly frowned, looking up at him with wide eyes. She swallowed. "What's…interesting?"

Sheldon looked at her as if she was an alien, making her recoil. "Interesting that you are panicking when you were the one that attacked me. Shouldn't I be the one panicking? But it's also interesting that I'm not panicking. I am just surprised and shocked, and those words mean the same thing, but still. It's interesting that I am wanting you to do it again and that I am not repulsed by it. It's interesting—"

Her lips were on his again and this time, his eyes fluttered close. Her arms found their way to his waist and pulled him closer to her. He realized how short she was and wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up as he leaned down to make her more comfortable. The kiss was closed mouth and was just a long press between them, but it felt mesmerizing.

She pulled back a little and kept her forehead pressed against his, looking into his eyes that opened slowly to lock onto hers. "Sheldon?"

He could only nod, his breathing was labored from the kiss and his heart was racing like he had run a lap and his mind…it was spinning with words that described the kiss: fascinating, interesting, captivating, enthralling, stimulating…