The Mess Up

The events that took place after Mrs. Cooper's visit were fast paced. Carly didn't see much of Sheldon, partly because she was with Bernadette and Penny as they got ready for the wedding that was quickly approaching and partly because she was extremely nervous to be alone with him in fear of them having sex. The girls had their dresses picked out and were hanging up in Penny's apartment and all the invitations were filled out and sent off. Bernadette had chosen Penny to be the maid of honor and the blond practically shot off like a rocket with excitement and began to plan the Bachelorette party immediately.

From what Penny had told Carly, Sheldon had been very quiet and was often in his room. Leonard had become worried about him and had wondered if something had happened between the couple. Apparently Sheldon was working extra hard at his job as well and became easily frustrated with anything that came into contact with him. Carly was disturbed by this and wanted to know what was going on with her boyfriend and if it had anything to do with them possibly having intercourse.

Carly made her way up to 4a, hoping to talk to Sheldon, even though she knew in order to have a private conversation with him, they would have to engage with each other alone. She swallowed and knocked on the door, and after hearing a 'come in' from Leonard, entered the apartment.

Carly saw them all tense up as she walked through the living room and realized that Sheldon was not there. "Where is Sheldon?" she asked curiously, holding back her deep concern.

"At work," Leonard replied from the armchair. "I usually bring him home, but he told me he wasn't done so I came home after waiting for 2 hours."

Carly pursed her lips and walked over, sitting in her usual seat on the couch in-between Bernadette and Sheldon's spot. "It must be pretty important then, right?" she asked, glancing up at Leonard.

Leonard exchanged glances with Howard and Raj and then sighed in defeat. "Is there something that happened between you two? He has been acting more insane lately than he has since I have known him. And that's saying something."

Carly frowned and shook her head in confusion. "No…I haven't really seen him lately besides when we have dinner and even then, it's brief because we have been working on the wedding plans and such. He still has been texting me goodnight like he usually does, so I don't know what's wrong…." She looked down at her hands that were fumbling with each other and she felt the others' eyes on her and the tension in the room.

Penny finally broke it, like usual. "Honey, maybe you should go talk to him. He won't talk to us about his issues, but maybe he will talk to you. He really cares about you."

Carly sighed and then looked up at her, deciding Penny was right. Although she didn't think that Sheldon Cooper would admit anything is bothering him, even to his mother. He felt as if he was too evolved for petty emotions. But it was worth a try.

"Okay," she said before standing up and exhaling a breath she didn't realize she was holding. "Wish me luck," she smiled to Leonard and Penny and they all wished her luck before she left.

Sheldon stood at his whiteboard, the blue marker in one hand and the red one in the other. His blue eyes stared manically at his equations, trying to process them in his mind but the harder he thought about physics, the more flashes of Carly's naked body appeared under his eyelids. It was maddening and if it wasn't for the markers in his hands, his fingers would be pulling at his hair frustrated like they had been moments before.

He had never felt this way in his life. Never once had he not been able to consume his mind with how the Universe works. Usually it would be the other way around: where he would be trying to think of something unrelated to his work and then physics shows its head. That had never been a problem. He loved science. More than anything in the world…but Carly…she had ruined everything. It was no longer about him and science. She had poked her beautiful head into his mind…and his heart. And he hadn't thought that would ever be possible.

A knock on his door made his eyes flash sideways but then lock on his board again, his mouth opening to say go away, but the door clicked and apparently they had no manners. He spun around only to be almost knocked backwards at the sight of the woman that was haunting his mind. Anger bubbled up inside him at her but his heart swelled.

"Hello Sheldon…you're working late," Carly pointed out, pushing the door open the rest of the way and continued into his office. He watched her silently, his lips pursing and his teeth latching onto his cheek as he held in his involuntary emotions.

Apparently she didn't notice because she continued over to him, glancing down at his hands that held the markers and then up to his board where there was so many equations that the marks were blurred together. "Wow…this is some intense work," she awed quietly, but he could feel the tension in the room rise and he inferred that she knew he had been acting out of character.

"What are you doing here?" he finally asked his tone a bit more snappish than he wanted.

Carly's eyes flashed to his and she rolled her shoulders back, apparently not wanting to let his words affect her. "I went over to your apartment to talk to you, but Leonard said you refused to come home with him and that you were working."

Sheldon's jaw tightened at the thought of Leonard outing him and he moved away from her, her scent filling his nostrils and overwhelming his senses. "He was right. I am working. I am assuming since you came all the way down here to see me, what you needed to speak with me about is important?" He sat down behind his desk and gestured towards the smaller chair on the other side to her. "Talk."

Carly raised her eyebrows but didn't argue with him and she sat down. He watched her shiver from the AC vent and cross her arms over her chest, after he had seen her nipples protrude through her cotton shirt and he shifted, trying to compose himself.

"Well?" he asked impatiently, his voice a little shaky.

Carly huffed. "Sheldon don't talk to me like that. I have done nothing wrong and I don't understand what has gotten into you."

Sheldon scoffed. "You don't do you? Well ever since I met you, you have invaded my mind and up until now I have been able to tolerate it. But now! You have been interfering in my work. I can't concentrate and that has never happened to me before! I need to do this," he pointed to his board angrily. "So I can win the Nobel Prize one day. You have no idea what this is to me, and you have just messed it up!" His markers slammed against the desk in frustration, making her jump.

He was breathing heavily and until then he hadn't seen her reaction. Her bottom lip was jutted out a little as she stared at him with wide eyes. She was shocked, he concluded, and she was starting to shake more…possibly because of his stupid AC that he still needed to get a cover for.

"Well don't you have anything to say for yourself?" he asked, glaring at her speechless response.

Carly suddenly glowered back at him and she stood, the chair she had been sitting in scooting across the floor and hitting the wall behind it. "Sure. Screw you, Sheldon Cooper," she said surprisingly loud and then left his office.

Sheldon was left speechless now and he watched his door hit the wall and slam rather loudly as it closed. He stared at it, not knowing what to make of the situation now that she had left. Had she said, 'screw you'? he thought. That obviously hadn't been the answer he had been asking for…but as he thought about it, what had been the answer? He hadn't really had one. He was just angry.

"That girl in there is sweet, caring, and loving. Now if you guys have anything going on then you best be watching out for her, including paying closer attention to her feelings."

Bea's words unwillingly sounded through his mind and he stopped, momentarily cursing his eidetic memory. Why had he thought that all of a sudden? But he pondered the words, what Bea had said about Carly was true. She was sweet, caring, and loving. To him and to everything around her. He had promised Bea that he would pay closer to attention to her feelings and he had done that….

Her wide eyes flashed into his mind and his heart dropped. Had he been paying attention to her feelings just now? His shoulders slumped at the realization and he replayed her face in his mind, realizing she had been hurt and upset at his words…at that sentiment he decided what he had done hadn't been the best route to take. He threw the markers in his hands and ignored them as they hit the wall and fell to floor as he raked his fingers through his hair as he felt defeated.

Sheldon had messed things up big time with Carly and he didn't know if things would be the same.