Once he had her on the ground he put the wand away and began walking to where she stood, soaking wet and dismayed. Harry gave her a crooked half smile and said, 

"Well, you were certainly going fast enough, Miss O'Connor, but there seems to be some issue with the integrity of your broom. Is this the same one you've been using all along?" 

"Yes, sir, it's my own broom," she replied. 

"And it's already been through two previous crashes?" he asked. 

"Yes, sir, but we went over it very carefully after each one and just before today's test," she said miserably. 

"From what I saw it looked like the binding for the twigs came undone. I'd imagine it would be difficult to spot any weakening of the cording." 

"I suppose you're right, sir." 

By this time the two young wizards had arrived and were standing next to their bedraggled teammate. Harry took in their dejected demeanor and said, 

"Alright, here's what I want you to do. You'll spend the next several days getting all your information on the magical aspect of this project together and come see me with it. In the meantime I'll contact someone I know who makes his living building high end broomsticks. Maybe he can help you figure out a way to keep everything together and give you some tips on how to conduct your testing. I probably should have thought of this earlier but here we are. Agreed?" 

"Yes, sir," they chorused. 

"Good, now, go get yourself dried off, Miss O'Connor," he finished with a sympathetic smile. 

Harry watched as the trio trudged off towards the castle, the young witch still holding on to her denuded broomstick. He could only shake his head a bit. He was as good as his word for that afternoon he sent off an owl to Eddy Hillchurch to ask if he could provide some guidance for the young tinkerers. 

A few days later Harry was sitting in the Great Hall during a free period when he heard a familiar voice calling to him. 

"Oi, Professor." 

"Eddy? What are you doing up here?" Harry asked by way of reply. 

"After I got your message I thought I'd better get up 'ere and talk to those dare devils of yours. I just spent a while with 'em going over what they've been up to." 

"Well, I appreciate your taking the time. I hope this isn't creating issues with your work?" 

"Nah, not at all, Professor. They was glad to let me do it." 

"Um, Eddy, I thought you were going call me 'Harry', remember?" 

"Just in keeping with the surroundins, Professor," Eddy said with a smile as he gestured to indicate the Hall and Hogwarts in general. 

"So, what did you find out?" Harry asked with a grin. 

"Well, they did some impressive work on the magical side, didn't they? Problem is, it isn't just about the magic, innit? It really isn't all that 'ard to make a broom go fast in a straight line. Why, we've got a prototype or two that can do two, three times what a Firebolt'll do, but it takes the best part of two counties to make a turn. Wot good is that for the average witch or wizard, specially where Quidditch is concerned?" 

Harry merely nodded. 

"They was right clever with that shielding business, something we've looked at from time to time at Nimbus. Only they missed the big problem." 

"What was that?" Harry asked. 

"Ever look at a muggle aeroplane thingie?" 

Harry nodded.