Oh So Easy

'Hers is an old fashioned heart that holds timeless love. She's a three page love letter in a world of relationship status updates.' 

~ JmStorm

Varun P.O.V.

I woke up slowly on the first day of our outdoors shoot. Because of the fact that the weather wasn't on our side - or maybe because it was - shoot had been delayed, giving us the time to stay up late the night before and sleep in in the morning. Because we had nothing to do, I hadn't wanted to wake up when the sun first caused my brain to stir and had managed to persuade Alia to stay in bed a little longer. I knew she wouldn't be able to get back to sleep and I hadn't intended to myself, had only wanted to stay wrapped in the warm cocoon of blankets and pillows and Alia for a little longer before getting up and facing the cool autumn day. But then her fingers started combing through my hair and she began to hum a soft tuneless melody which, from my position with my head resting on her stomach, I could almost feel and the combination of all three quickly lulled me back into sleep.

When I did finally wake up for the day, I did so very slowly, savouring the feeling of fingers carding through my hair and the warmth surrounding me, the familiar presence of my best friend and her comforting, homely scent - something I'd tried to put a name to a million times but failed to label as anything but Alia and home.

Of course, she knew I was awake but gave no indication of it, not ceasing her movements or her humming, allowing me the option to slip back into my dreams if I wished to. I was tempted to, of course I was, but I knew I'd kept her in bed long enough so I forced myself to open my eyes. 'What time's't?' I asked, my words barely audible as I spoke against the material of her - my - t-shirt.

'Just gone one.' she answered, her voice soft.

'Why'd'you let me sleep so long?' I questioned, unwrapping myself from around her - somewhat reluctantly - and sitting up with a yawn.

'You look so peaceful when you're sleeping, I didn't feel like waking you.' she explained with a shrug.

'And what about the fact that you missed breakfast?' I queried, eyebrow raised.

'I can still grab some lunch when we go down.' she dismissed easily. 'But sleep is precious and you never get enough of it.'

'Food is precious too. And you never get enough of it.' I countered, eyes narrowing at her.

'Missing breakfast for one day to let you get some proper sleep isn't going to make much of a difference. Besides, even you have to admit that I've been eating better recently.' She had a point but that didn't mean I was okay with her skipping meals for my sake. Because, with Alia, letting it slide once would lead to a second time and a third and, soon enough, she'd be in a downward spiral straight back to where she started. 

When her stomach made its displeasure known, I felt a familiar spike of protective anger - not directed at the girl before me but at myself. Guilt filled me as I realised it was me and my insistence on staying in bed that had resulted in her hunger. 'How long have you been sat here waiting for me to get up so you could eat?' 

'Couple of hours.' she shrugged. The guilt became a nauseating feeling. 

'Next time, wake me.' I instructed. She shook her head, about to protest. 'Alia, I know how this works, how you work. I'm not going to let you go back there again.' 

'Stop acting like a protective husband.' she scoffed with half a laugh. 

'Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?' I teased. She rolled her eyes playfully and shook her head.