Well, That escalated Quickly

'The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.' 

~ Adapted from Robert Burns' "To a Mouse."

Varun P.O.V.

'Alia is the best friend on the planet.' I announced to my brother as I walked into his study.

'You do know you have your own place, right?' he joked instead of responding to my statement.

'Yes, but it gets lonely and I like annoying you.' I retorted, earning a sigh. 'But, seriously, Alia is one helluva friend.' I repeated.

'I take it she agreed to your stupid plan then?'

'It's not stupid! And yes, she agreed.' Bhaiya looked at me like he doubted my mental health but said nothing. 'Bhaiya, don't you have anything to say?' I asked him, waiting for his this is a bad idea speech.

'No. I think you've pretty much said it all.'

'What?' I questioned, bewildered.

'She really is a damn good friend.' he told me. I waited for him to say something more but he still stayed silent, making me think that he knew something I didn't. But that wasn't possible; there's no way that he knew anything about Alia that I didn't.

'Bhai?' I asked at the same time Bhabhi called him. Ignoring me, he went to see why she was calling and I followed behind, surprised to see my parents stood there, glaring at me.

Before any of us could ask what was wrong, papa started speaking. 'You got married, without telling us, and now you're getting divorced and we find out from your girlfriend?' he demanded, practically spitting out the last word, not allowing me time to answer before turning to my brother. 'And you knew?'

'I, uh, papa, I, yes, I knew.' he sighed, completely ignoring the signals I was giving him to deny it.

'And you didn't tell us?' this time it was ma that spoke, looking from me to bhaiya with disappointment and hurt written on her face.

'Ma, I asked him not to. He only just found out and I told him not to.' I spoke up quickly.

'Why?' Papa asked.

'I didn't want you guys to find out now when it's over anyway.' I lied, hoping the questions would stop.

'And when it first happened?' dad questioned, almost angrily.

'We didn't tell anyone really. Everybody was always saying we were too young to know what love was or to be thinking of settling down. We thought you'd stop us.' I answered, careful to modulate my voice.

'Varun, if it's what you wanted, you know we would have supported you. But we didn't even know you were seeing anybody!' Ma exclaimed. For the first time, I was thankful Imara had insisted on keeping it quiet, even if it was because she was planning on deceiving me.

'Like I said, we wanted to keep it quiet.' I repeated. My parents exchanged a glance and I knew whatever they were about to say wouldn't be good.

'According to this Natasha, it's been six years since it went downhill. Why has it taken so long?' papa asked, much to my surprise.

'Tried to work it out. Then filming, schedules, wanting to keep it quiet.' I muttered, the same lie that I'd been giving over and over.

'Right.' Ma nodded. 'Well, you're not getting a divorce without us at least meeting this girl.'

Oh shit. I thought. Haveh? What are you going to say? I demanded of myself. Well, only one thing for it. I thought, taking a breath before speaking. 'Actually, you've already met her.' I admitted.

They looked at each other and then at me, eyebrows raised. 'Who is it then?' Papa asked.

Making a mental note to apologise to Alia – and buy her some kind of amazing apology gift – for making this even bigger, I steeled myself for their reactions and gave an answer. 'Alia.'

'Alia... as in, Bhatt?' Ma questioned, looking at me with her eyes narrowed suspiciously. Please just believe me, I silently pleaded, nodding.

The room went quiet for a long while before Bhabhi spoke up. 'So, uh, then when... after, when you were down, you two spent a lot of time together?' I was slightly surprised that I knew exactly what was supposed to go in the gaps until I realised that my bhabhi's speech pattern was shockingly similar to Alia's. For some reason, that just made me feel even guiltier about the whole thing but I had to shove the guilt aside and answer the question.

'She's still one of the people who knows me best. Maybe my heart broke because of her but she was the only one who knew how to fix it.' I explained, realising that Alia was in fact the only one who had known how to fix me, even if the part about it being her fault was a complete lie – despite what she thought. The crazy girl blamed herself for the break up, because she was the one who figured out what Imara's plan was. She'd done me a huge favour, but all she saw was the negative outcomes, no matter how many times I told her I was better off without the girl in my life. 

'But you two seem so much closer now.' Bhaiya said, seemingly having forgotten that the story was fake.

'Yeah, well, sometimes things like this make a friendship stronger.' I justified lamely.

'If it made your friendship stronger, why couldn't you two work things out?' Papa questioned.

What's with the third degree? I asked silently, though I didn't dare say it aloud. 'How about I call Alia and see if she can come so we can explain together?' I asked instead, instantly cursing myself for the thought when they nodded. Sighing, I went to call Alia.

Author's Note :
What up people? It's Monday right? Nope? Well, here's a surprise update!! Yay!

Also, did you guys check out Varia's new AD? Damn! VD and Alu! It's up in the media box along with the banner. Do check it out if you haven't. Banner is made by __SarcasticPanda__

That's all for now. We'll see y'all next Monday.