24

24.
I think you can guess what happened next.

Just to help you out, I'll provide a brief outline. As the five of us were stood quarrelling over what Harry had done, the stern knock at the door sent us into an eerie silence. All of our eyes turned to lay on said door and I felt utterly possessed with shock. Four of us were scared stiff it seems, but Harry just sighed and gave a final glance to the floor beneath us. Once he had owned a moment of personal silence, I almost had to rub my eyes in uncertainty as I saw his feet move towards the door. I didn't know how to form words anymore, Beatrix and Smith had turned into statues, so it was Angelina who put her arm out at Harry and looked deep into his eyes for answers.

"I'm answering the door." He told her and her wide eyes faltered, now sad.

"Are you sure about this, Harry?" She asked, "You can leave out the window, we'll say that we haven't seen you all night and you can flee. You can escape."

Her hopeful words were interrupted by the knock again. "New York Police, open the goddamn door!" The sound of a male voice came booming through the cracks around the door frame and Harry seemed shaken before disappearing into his ordinary demure again.

He sent another look towards Angelina, putting his palm against her shoulder in attempted comfort, before taking yet another step towards the door. I watched him with tear-brimmed eyes and a sob escaped me as he kept going. This stopped him in his tracks and he swiftly turned to view me with an alertly worrisome stare.

We caught eye contact as the policeman knocked, but it seemed in those few seconds that Harry and I had entered our own world again; the noises had begun to drown out from around us and we were just us, Winona and Harry. He hurried over to me, his gentle hands falling against each side of my head and his lips softly caressing my forehead.

"You'll wait for me?" He cried.

"Of course I'll wait for you." I sobbed, his hands gripped my arms firmly.

"I don't know how long it will take, but I'll be back. I'll find you, Winona, and I'll never involve myself with these people again. We can grow up together, we can do what we've always wanted and I'll make sure that every wish you have is granted. What I need in return is for you to stay here, don't leave. Don't leave me." He pulled me into a hug and I could hear his heavy breathing in my ear synchronise with the knocking.

"I love you."

"I love you."

The air between us had returned as he turned on his heel and finally approached the door, throwing it open without further question to reveal a policeman and the devil beside him. Jonathan looked smug, throwing a sly grin towards Harry as soon as his eyes laid on him, and the policeman looked tired. His moustache was perfectly groomed but the bags under his eyes made his appearance look a lot untidier.

"Is this the man?" The male turned to Jonathan to see him nod.

"This is him. He was the one who did this." Jonathan replied in mock worry. Harry had beat him up pretty good, he had a black eye among a swollen jaw and bloody nose.

Harry looked helpless before them; they were the jury and he was the sentenced.

Before any of us could even comprehend what was happening, the policeman grabbed Harry's wrists and latched a pair of handcuffs over him. I began to scream, Angelina jumped at the noise and quickly ran over to me. As Harry was facing us, the policeman at his back and holding his arms, his eyes darted to mine in reaction. The most prominent memory I have of that night was the way he reacted to my scream.

He grinned. His eyes were dark and afraid, but his mouth was loving and soft.

He then mouthed, "It's all okay".