26.His Gift, his Comfort.... not Him.

Start from the beginning

What?" I looked at him confused "I didn't order anything"

"You didn't? But she said....." he started, I narrowed my eyes at him "What? Nooooo" he protested "I swear it's not my doing. I know you find gifts bothersome" he defended himself.

"What is it then?" I looked at the package warily.

"Just open it" he said "Maybe it's nothing much"

Dan clapped his hands "Yes mommy, open it" he encouraged.

"Fine" I hesitantly took the cover off. It wasn't the 'nothing much' that we were expecting. The color itself took my breath off. It was a strange shade of midnight blue, one that you could mistake for dark grey under the moonlight.

"I don't think I should touch it" I said, after I recovered from the shock "There must have been a mix up"

Ray nodded, not taking his eyes off the pack "I second that"

But then none of us could stop Dan from grabbing the material carelessly and jerking it to unfold it. His height ensured that more than half of the dress was lying on the carpet.

I gasped before snatching it away from him "Baby, mommy can't pay for it with her salary if you ruin it"

I straightened the dress to inspect it. Beautiful was the only word for it. It melted in my hands. It was the perfect gown. Perfect for tomorrow, my mind told me. I shrugged the thought off. Boat necked; it looked like it would hug the body up to the waist and then fall loose.

"There is a note" Ray said picking up an envelope. I carefully placed the gown over the couch before taking the note.

I flipped it over "Thank you" I read the words out loud.

"Open it" Ray said.

"Should we read someone else's letter?" I didn't like the idea much.

"What if its yours?"

"I don't have a secret admirer, Ray"

"What if its him. She clearly said it's yours" he said, serious.

My heart skipped a beat. I looked at the two simple words on the envelope. It was written in an elegant handwriting.

"He's not my secret admirer" I said "Plus he has better things to do. He wouldn't concern himself with what I wear. I'm not that important to him" I said making sure that Dan was out of my earshot.

"How's he? Is he hurt like you felt?" he asked

"Yes he kind of ended up in a situation. It's over though. He's in the pack hospital now. The intruders were killed" I informed him.

"Killed?" his eye widened. Oh dear! "I thought you said you die of old age"

"Well, not always" I defended sheepishly "it was self-defense. I swear"

He shook his head "I don't need the details"

"Alright, let's open it then" I said changing the topic, he sighed in relief.

I regretted it as soon as i took the note out.

'To,
The gift from the moon that I don't deserve.'

I flipped the card open nervously. A single sentence was written inside.

'Thank you for gifting me this day'

I don't know how long I was staring at the words before Ray's voice broke my trance.

"Its him, isn't it?"