Chapter 4

**London King**

"Good morning Miss London, how are you today?" Chef Monica asked as she began preparing breakfast that I couldn't eat. Today was the pageant for Miss Atlanta and if my mother saw me even sniffing food she would kill me.

Grabbing a water out of the fridge I took a sip before responding.

"I'm fine" I said quickly turning to leave but before I could make it through the corridor Chef Monica grabbed my aching wrist.

"Wait Miss London, you don't look so good sweetheart. Are you sure you want to compete today?" She asked concern adorning her chocolate brown eyes.

Chef Monica always had that motherly instinct about her and she always made me feel like I was her own. I knew she suspected my mother of ill things, but she didn't have any proof.
"I promise I'm okay, nothing a little make-up can't take care of right?" I asked rhetorically giving her a small smile, but she didn't smile back instead she shook her head and walked back toward the stove to finish preparing breakfast.

I knew she was upset with me and a part of me felt like she knew I wasn't eating, and if only I could tell her why she would understand , then everybody would understand but I can't do that.

"London we are leaving in 10 minutes, drink this" My mother said handing me a hot cup of tea."You look like shit, this will help" She chastised carefully setting her Chanel sunglasses on the bridge of her nose.

"Thank you" I said lowly sipping from the cup, today was going to be a long one, but atleast I would get to see my bro.

****
Walking into the arena , I squinted my eyes at the bright lights, for some reason the light was much harsher today and my eyes couldn't handle it.

Feeling my heavy eyes get droopier and droopier I sat in my make up chair waiting for Edna, she was a make-up god and she never ceased to impress.

"Hey baby!!" Edna screamed wrapping me in a big hug. I smiled hugging her tighter. She was like my pageant mom and sister all wrapped into one. Always encouraging me, calling me beautiful, and reminding me to be happy, even when I lost she would always tell  me I was a winner.

"Babyyyy" she dragged out pulling on my worn out cheeks. "You look.."

"Terrible.? I know" I said finishing her sentence. "No London you don't look terrible baby you look sick. We need to get you to a hospital your lips are colorless and your face looks green. I cannot let you do -"

"Enough Edna!" My mother told her slightly raising her voice as my stomach growled reminding me that I hadn't had a single meal in 4 days, my body was begging for me to eat something, anything and the look on my face wasn't from being tired. It was probably from starvation.

Even a kit-kat would satisfy me but the closer it got to the competition date , my mother was afraid I'd put on unecesarry weight, and cut off all my food supply.

Edna looked at my mother with a scorn look on her face before pulling out her make-up kit and began applying a fresh coat of foundation to my skin.

"Don't you worry baby, Edna will make you beautiful. I'm gonna give you a soft beat with a simple highlight, because your already beautiful!" She whispered in my ear with worry in her eyes.
*****
1 hour later I was beat and ready to put my dress on before being called out to the stage. My mother always insisted that I waited 5 minutes before my name was called to slip my dress on.

"Let me get a picture of your beat baby!" Edna said pulling out her iPhone.

*SNAP*

"Okay enough!" My mother said clapping her hands

"Okay enough!" My mother said clapping her hands. "Slip your dress on now London."
********

"Welcome to the stage 5'6 ft, 115lbs. London King. She will be attending Michigan State University in the fall to study Child Psychology with a minor in foreign language."

I glided onto the black stage with my smile wide and my posture up at perfecton. As the camera's flashed in my face I gave them a few smiles and fierce poses.

Once the camera flashes became less and less and the applause began to stop and I turned all my attention toward the guest speaker giving him my best smile.

"Hello Mrs. King are you ready for your first question?" The announcer asked as he smiled widely at me.

"As ready as I'll ever be" I said making the crowd chuckle lowly, staring into the audience my mom was sitting at the edge of her seat chewing hurridly on her perfectly manicured nail beds.

"If your friends could describe you in 3 words what would they be?"

Friends? I thought to myself.

What friends? I didn't have one friend except my brother. My mother pulled me out of public school so long ago that I forgot what kids my age even looked like. She insisted on homeschooling me.

I was a mute and my heart began to race as I went into panic mode. Friends?

A ringing noise pierced my ears as I looked back out into the crowd, looking to my left Dominic was looking at me with a confused expression on his face .

I could normally muster up some kind of answer, but the longer I stared at Dominic for encouragement the quicker I could see him standing from his seat with a concerned look on his face.

As I opened my mouth to respond to the speaker everything had become blurry and darkness began to consume me.