Part two

"You divide two X by ten to find X". Jake's math teacher, Miss.Green instructed as she teaches them the steps to factoring or something. He doesn't usually pay attention in this class. He's naturally good at numbers. His dad taught him everything he knew about numbers since he was studying physics. So he passes anyway. He tunes out Miss. Green's dreary voice and adventures his own thoughts. Wondering what his dad might be doing. If he misses them. Will his dad ever come back? He thinks, and these thoughts start to rise up a touch of anger, like it always did when he began thinking about his dad. The unforgiving hate he has for his dad leaving him will always be there. Instead of digging himself a deeper hole, he moves on to different thoughts. What about Abby? He thinks. Who is she? "Why is she so cold?" "Is it normal for an everyday girl to be so cold? Or why was she so pale? Translucent looking? Is that normal? It can't be. He wanted to know why she was like that, if she has a reason.

After about forty-five minutes of math class, the bell surges through everybody's ears with its high pitched rings. Jake watches everyone pack up their notebooks and binders and everything in between. When he realizes the reason for the students rushing out, he quickly grabs his backpack and quickly walks out of the class and merging into the herd of wild bison as they stomp and tremble the floor beneath them each walking to their next class period.

"Hey Jake." Someone whispers, barely audible over the chaotic halls. Jake shifts to his side and sees Abby strutting right by him.

"Hey Abby." Jake finally says, winning a confused scowl from the girl next to him as she walks away faster. Jake notices it and questions her actions. He looks down at Abby, only to find her not there anymore. Glancing around over the heads of others to try and find her. She was gone. She vanished. Where did she go? She was just here? He thought. Searching for her pale blonde hair.

While others go to class, Jake goes to lunch. He gets his tray of food and sits in his usual spot at a table in the far corner of the cafeteria, waiting for Vanessa to arrive. That's when he sees her again, Just standing there. Abby gives a soft grin and walks away, not without sending him a wink over her shoulder. Jake gets up from his seat and follows Abby. Zig-zagging through people to get to her faster. When somebody grasps his arm.

"What is going on with you? People are saying you're talking to yourself! Are you okay Jake?" Vanessa questions with a severe, worried look etched onto her face. Her green eyes searching his for any possible answer to her questions.

"What? Yea..yeah Vanessa, I'm fine. And I'm not talking to myself. Who's saying that?" Jake answers with a hurry attempting to end this conversation so he can catch Abby.

"Everyone is saying that, Jake!" Vanessa shouts.

Trying to shake his arm from Vanessa's vice grip, but Vanessa grips him tighter, Making him wince from the uncomfortable pressure on his arm.

"Where are you trying to go?" She now says with a small dose of anger in her voice, delivering a shiver down Jake's spine, he wanted to go find Abby, but he couldn't tell Vanessa that.

"I have to go Vanessa. Please, just let me go." Jake pleads, tugging on his locked arm.

"Well, I'm going with you. People are spreading rumors about you Jake, and they are worse than before." She softly says with empathy. Jake looks down remembering the rumors that we're spread about him before, when his dad had left during freshman year. It was a rough year for him. Jake looks back up at Vanessa, who has a tenacious expression on her face.

"Okay fine. Come with me. I was about to catch Abby. Maybe then you can meet her and realize how not crazy I am" Jake says with a smirk making Vanessa shake her head and bare her sparkling white teeth. She let's go of Jake and motions him to lead the way. Jake shifts on his feet and starts in the direction he saw Abby go in with Vanessa following in suit. When they get to the end of the hall. She is gone. Jake furrows his eyebrows in confusion as he just saw her turn into this hall. Where did she go? He thinks to himself. He looks behind him to Vanessa shrugging his shoulders,

"I guess she left" He says looking down at her.

"Looks like I'll have to wait to meet her then." Vanessa says giving him a reassuring smile, "C'mon. Let's go get some lunch." She says grabbing his hand and pulling him back toward the cafeteria. Jake looks back, every possibility rushing through his mind on where she went. I'll find her later and I'll figure it out then. He thinks.

They make it back to the table where Jake was sitting at previously with new trays of steaming, hot food. They both sit down in the plastic blue chairs and dig into savoring the mashed potatoes and chicken as it's flavors throw a party on their taste buds making them both close their eyes in bliss. Even then can Vanessa forget about the rumors.

"Who's Abby?" Vanessa asks after a couple of minutes of silence. Taken aback by her question. Jake takes a moment to answer her question for he, himself, doesn't know exactly who Abby really is.

"Erm. I...I don't know." He stutters trying to think back and muster every detail he could remember about her. There wasn't much. "I met her this morning, she said she was new in town." He states, "I almost hit her with my car, and then she came and found me at my locker to apologize for scaring me I guess." He adds, scooping more of his mashed potatoes into his mouth and chewing slowly, examining Vanessa's blank expression, wondering what she might be thinking. She thinks I'm crazy, my own friend. Maybe I am crazy. Jake thinks, his mind racing as Vanessa finishes chewing her food so she can reply to his answer.

"I haven't seen any new girl, Jake. And being in the Student Body Program, I know and see a lot of people, even the new ones. Why haven't I seen her?" Vanessa Prys, almost interrogating Jake for she feels like he is lying. Vanessa's eyes roam Jakes face, eyebrows furrowed in pure confusion and frustration. "Jake? Are you feeling okay?" Vanessa asks with concern laced in her small, gentle voice. Jake stops chewing,

She thinks I'm crazy. What does she mean "okay"? I'M FINE! He yells in his thoughts. Trying to convince himself because he's beginning to believe it too.

"You think I'm crazy too, Vanessa? Is that it? Is that why you're interrogating me?" Jake says in a harsh whisper, trying not to draw attention. Hurt and disbelief can be heard from his voice as he can't understand why she doesn't believe him. She was his only friend after all, she should know him inside and out, why is she questioning him?

"No! No, that's not at all what I'm trying to say Jake! I want to understand what the hell is going on! You're scaring me!" Vanessa cried in shock with Jake's words. She raises her hands slightly in front of her in sign of defense. Jake looks into her large green eyes and lets out a small chuckle. As if he can't believe her and her words at the moment.

"Whatever. Abby is real." Jake says with assurance as he stands up with his tray in his hands. He gives Vanessa one last emotionless look before striding towards the trash and dumping his tray. then walking out the cafeteria doors into the horde of students in the halls.

Striding through the school halls with frustration, Jake heads to the back doors leading to the parking lot and finds his car. He stops abruptly in his tracks as he spots the blonde haired, pale skinned girl leaning against passenger side door. He walks over to her and leans on the car next to her, hands in pockets as the cold September wind kisses his skin.

"Where were you back there? I wanted you to meet someone." He says, breaking the deadly silence between them.

"I'm not here to make friends,Jake." Abby says in a cold voice. "I'm here because I need you to do me a favor." She says giving Jake a stone hard, emotionless glare through her long, thin, blonde locks. She stands up straight and faces her body towards Jake's making him gulp in anticipation and intimidation. "I need you to kill someone for me." She says in a low, confident voice. Stopping all thoughts from running in Jake's mind. Leaving him speechless.

"W.w..what?" he stuttered as he suddenly fears for his life.