Chapter 5

Chat was acting very, very strangely
"What's up?" Carapace asked. "You okay?"

"I'm good. Fine."

"If you're sure."

"I'm very sure."

"Okay."

"Right."

The pair sat in awkward silence. "Where are Ladybug and Rena Rouge?" Carapace asked.

Chat shrugged. "I saw Ladybug near the Musée d'Orsay, but I don't know where Rena is."

"Okay."

Chat seemed distracted. He was tracing circles on his knees, thinking. "Carapace, would you want to know who each other was?"

Carapace recoiled. "Not really. That's risky. If we knew who each other was, we might trip up and say each other's names. What if Hawk Moth or an akuma heard?"

"Right." Chat said. "Carapace... I know who you are."

***

Carapace had no idea how to react. "But-I-how?"

"You said you were visiting your girlfriend." Chat said guiltily. "And I know you went to Alya Cèsaire's house."

Carapace buried his face in his hands. How could this be happening to him, the most cautious of the superheroes? The one who was always careful?

"I'm sorry, man." Chat said. "It wasn't on purpose. I knew you didn't want anyone to know."

"How do you know who's dating Alya? Are you in my class?"

Chat hesitated. "You really want to know?"

"Yes." Carapace admitted. "I need to."

"I had two best friends." Chat stated. "Then I found out they're the same person."

Bold, loud Chat Noir and quiet, kind Adrien Agreste could not be the same person.

Or could they?

"You- you aren't."

Chat nodded, understanding Carapace in a way only good friends could. "I am. Are we cool?"

"Better than cool."

***

"So, I'm going to try to get an interview with Chat Noir for the Ladyblog." Alya said. "Do you think he'll say yes?"

"I'm sure he will." Nino said. Knowing Adrien's secret identity made him feel like he carried a very big secret, even bigger than his own.

"I think I'm close to figuring out who he is!"

Nino panicked. "You can't! I mean, well, people can't know who the superheroes are! It isn't safe!"

She chuckled. "Don't worry, I wouldn't post it. It's just curiosity."

"Curiosity killed the chat."

Alya poked him. "Lighten up! I bet I can beat you at skee-ball!

"No way!"

"Yes way!" Hauling Nino after her, Alya skated across the rink towards the arcade. A year ago, he would have fallen flat on his face, but his superhero reflexes were much improved. He still wasn't as good as Alya was at roller skating, but he at least was better than Adrien.

Then again, he hadn't skated with his clumsy best friend in a long time. In fact, Adrien didn't seem very clumsy anymore.

One of the skee-balls was already taken- by Max and Kim. Internally groaning, since he knew how competitive Kim was, Nino said hi.