The First Step

Words count: 1742

🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃 🎃

"What???"

I never heard the word before so it was so strange in my ears.

Dylan rolled his eyes.
"Jailangkung. The first syllable is pronounced like you pronounce Jay. The a in 'lang' is pronounced like you say the u in 'sung' and the u in 'kung' is like the double o when you say 'moon'. Understood??"

He talked to fast actually and I only absorbed half of it but I knew how annoying Dylan could be and I refused to give him that opportunity. So I nodded my head.

"So what are you going to do with it?? You're not playing doll, aren't you??" I asked in mockery.

Dylan snorted loudly. "Of course not. But...you're right about the 'play' part. This doll," He said, wiggled the doll in front of my face. "is not ordinary doll. In Indonesia, they used this to summon a spirit. Like Ouija board."

I crunched my nose in disgust. I never liked the idea of summoning lost spirit near me. In movies, it never ended well for the player.
I had no doubt in Indonesia they experienced the same.
There's no good coming from inviting the spirit.

Dylan saw my face and his smirk came back. I hate it when he curved his lips like that. He always used that smirk to intimidate me. To tell me indirectly that I was weak, weaker than him.

"Someone is scared." He sang the words.

I pursed my lips. "I am not scared, Idiot! I just do not believe that kind of things. Beside, where did you get it?"

Dylan winked his brown eyes. "It's a secret. So, do you want to play it with me? Let's make you believe it."

I scolded inside. I didn't want to play it. The fact, yes, I was scared. I don't mind Vampire and Frankenstein since I knew they're just fairy tale but spirit, I believed it's existed.

"Are you nuts??? Why are you bothering yourself to play it? It's The Ghost Day. Halloween. We have too much ghosts already." I said, tried to make him to forget his crazy idea about the Jailangkung.

Dylan snapped his fingers.
"That's why we have to play it tonight. Since it's Halloween, the spirit will come faster."

I stared at Dylan like he just popped out another head on his neck.
In front of me, Dylan kept that half-smile and I really wanted to wipe it away from his face.

I narrowed my eyes as I stared at him suspiciously.
"When the last time you take your medicine, Dylan?"

He grumbled as he hit my forehead with the doll.
"I'm not crazy, Loony. Yet." He added, made me held out my tongue at him.

"Whatever!!! But I will never play that doll with you." I said, folded my arms in front of my chest.
When I did that, I suddenly realized I still on my nurse costume. No wonder my legs were cold.

Dylan shrugged his shoulders once again.
"Oh, fine. You don't have to come. But..." He smiled wickedly. "I can't wait to tell everyone about how coward you are."

I widened my eyes in rage at him but Dylan ignored me. He wanted to walked away but I quickly blocked his path. I reached out my hand and I planned to shove his shoulder away but before I could reach him, he took a step back from me.

My hand still hanging on the air as I watched Dylan in shock.
He never did that before. In fact, he always challenged me to shove him harder.

Dylan looked mad but he blinked his eyes and the anger suddenly gone.
Dylan confused me. This wasn't feel like him.
Was that possible??