She had gathered what left off in the house, packed them in bags and stood before the destroyed house, hands trembling. Maybe she should have explained that she didn’t know what the chip was, at least for her brother’s sake.

How will she manage his school’s fees and their staying? She didn’t have close friends or any relatives. She looked down at Saahil who was gazing at their house sadly.

She knew life is unfair and storms like the devil with azure eyes can throw your life off. She too isn’t Annika for nothing. She wiped her tears before they rolled down her cheeks. Nope, she never was nor will be weak. She's Annika.. Annika..

For now, she will stay in Chanda’s house; she didn’t want to be a burden to anyone. She will figure it out in a week and will definitely make money so that Sahil can go to school properly.

That day in night when no one was there in Chanda’s house, she didn’t sleep, just curled around and caressed Saahil who slept beside her in the guest room. What she can do? How much more she has to suffer? If she will suffer, then it is fine, but she can’t let Sahil suffer.

These kinds of tiresome and hard days reminded her of the days in orphanage. After what seemed like hours of rolling around, she slept with troubled memories and thoughts.

~~~~Little Annika looked around the children playing in the playground since it is evening and they all are free of chores in the orphanage. She didn’t know why but no one liked her. Granted, the first year in orphanage had been difficult because she was very upset that her chutki went far away. The adoptive parents just wanted her chutki alone but not her. Little Annika cried hard yet let Chutki go, at least Chutki will have a loving family.

That year had been harder. Little Annika doesn’t remember much about her parents or life before as all she could remember was that they were abandoned.. she could very well remember the days of loneliness, starvation and emptiness.

No one who came to adopt kids liked her. She didn’t know why she was always the one to be abandoned.

Was she not pretty enough?

Was she not lovable enough?

Thoughts which no nine year old should have were running through nine year old Annika. Most kids get adopted at the age of six and if they aged more than that, it was a given fact that they will not be adopted. The orphanage staffs only looked after the younger children so they will get adopted in a good family and will have donations. The older children were put to work and they are left alone to fend themselves off. Annika was glad at least Chutki escaped the hardship.

Little Annika tried hard not to be a burden, no matter how tough the situation is, she still felt lucky enough to have a place to stay. She knew there are worse things that may happen to her.

Little Annika sighed looking at the children playing with toys and some running around. She somehow didn’t seem to be fit anywhere no matter how hard she tried. She was extra nice to all the girls, yet they hated her more saying that all her behavior is acting.

Annika stayed away from the grown up boys in the orphanage. The way some boys looked at her sort of freaked her out. Last week she had beaten two of them with a stick nearby when their touch became so uncomfortable and scary.

No child, no matter their age has to go through with that. For fighting like that, the matron of orphanage punished her with more chores and no donated toys for her.

That is why little Annika watched in envy of the girls naming their dolls and playing around. The toys were all second handed yet they are still beautiful and playful for children who had none. Annika didn’t even get that second handed toys.