[01]

HORIZON
one | duh, i'm the l

          RAIN DROPS FELL harshly and soaked into the fabric jacket that hugged Savannah's body tightly

          RAIN DROPS FELL harshly and soaked into the fabric jacket that hugged Savannah's body tightly. The car door slammed after being kicked with the bottom of her shoe. Every inch of clothing grew soaked with water as she ran towards the double doors of the Psychology Office. Both of the palms of her hands were like the Hulk's, pushing the doors open, desperate to escape the rain. A breath of relief left her lungs. Her feet strolled to the registration desk across the room, warming her hands in the pockets of her jacket nervously.

         "Hi. Savannah Alana for Grace Kelley." She spoke softly, not wanting to disturb any of the people in the room. There were only a few others but when a room was that silent, a pin could fall to the floor and it would be like an alarm.

         "Okay. Have a seat." The registration lady whispered, motioning her hand over to the empty chairs all around the room. Honey locks of hair was wrapped into a rolled-up sock with a pencil in the middle.

         Savannah forcefully tugged a smile before turning her back to the lady's face. Scanning the room, her soulless eyes searched for an empty seat that wasn't beside someone else. If there was one thing she hated more than going to therapy, it was being only two inches apart from another person. Sadly, she knew that she had to get over that hatred when going into the real world.

         Once she found a seat, her body rushed to it and plopped down before anyone could steal it. It happened once. She was having a horrible day and was almost thrown out of the building for trying to hit a young woman with a baby.

         After several minutes of waiting, Mrs. Kelley entered the waiting room and called for Savannah. She gave the same warm and comforting smile she gave every week. The young girl pushed off the hoodie from her head and followed her therapist into the office they met in every week.

         The second the two were settled in, with Savannah on the far end of the ruby couch and Mrs. Kelley on the baby blue chair next to it, the anxiety began in Savannah. It floated in a puddle at the bottom of her stomach as she clasped her hands together in her lap.

         When the session came to a close, they said their goodbyes as Savannah made way out of the office. She strolled back into the waiting room and schedules the next week's appointment.

         By the time she arrived home, the rain had stopped pouring. The ground surrounding her was covered with water puddles. Carefully, she walked around them and walked towards the front door. Shakily, she searched for the house key on her key chain before unlocking the door.

         "Savannah, is that you?" Her mother called out from the kitchen. A sudden smell of cinnamon filled the air, making Savannah hum to herself. Her mom was making cinnamon toast. For a while now, she had been trying to make her daughter smile any way possible. So far, for all she knew, she was failing.