Chapter 5

Yummmmmmmmm. I don’t think that crab cakes have ever tasted so good. I was so hungry and I will give my father one thing. He sure knows how to put out a good spread of food. I mean seriously, they had homemade baked mac and cheese, potato salad, crab cakes, amazing (and I mean aaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing) coleslaw with a bit of a kick, chocolate covered strawberries. You name it, it was on the table. I am seriously starting to appreciate Callie, too. I will definitely use her mad kitchen skills to my advantage soon.

“You seem pleased.”

I was so in my own world, my own delicious savory sea world, I had completely forgotten about the extremely delicious savory man across from me.

“Pretty much, but if you give me like 10 minutes I’ll be ready for round two.” I said smugly. In my head, I was brushing off my shoulders and giving myself high fives. I had just eaten about 5 decently sized crab cakes in under 10 minutes. Let’s just say I still impress myself sometimes.

He chuckled, “I don’t think I ever caught your name. Although your mouth was pretty full so….”

“Oh no way. I don’t recall you offering your name amid my moments of pleasure.” I was slightly offended. How is a girl supposed to fulfill her physiological needs and flirt at the same time? I know that women are awesome and all, but no one is a miracle worker.

“Touche. Well, I guess I should start then. My name is Reed. Reed Caffery.” Oh great. Even his names is high class and attractive.

“Emma. Emma Blake.”

“Well Emma Blake, I am glad I ran into you because my friends who promised to save me from going to this boring party are nowhere to be found. Honestly, I am pretty sure they ditched me.”

I laughed, “Where would they go?”

“Why don’t we go find out? If you’re up for it, of course.” He stood up and came to my side holding out a hand. I looked at my food sadly. I didn’t like leaving leftovers, but I knew my options. Either go with the mysterious, sweet hit guy or sit all by my lonesome. Decisions, decisions…. Yeah, I think I choose the hot guy.

I nearly jumped out of my seat. “Heck yeah I am up for it.”

I took his hand and he began to drag us through the swarms of people chit chatting about summer homes, color schemes, and the next big party. Everybody looked as if they were having a good time, but I couldn’t tell for sure if it was genuine. I wasn’t sure if these were the stereotypical fake socialites or genuine people having a good kickoff summer get together. I knew for sure though that I wasn’t used to it.

I wasn’t paying attention and ran into a door or something. I put my hands up to push myself away and oh wait, yup, definitely not a door. I peeled myself off of Reed’s back and regained my composure.

“What’s the hold up?” I was irritated. I didn’t come to run into walls even if it was mostly my fault.

“Shhh. I am trying to think of where they could be.” He held up a finger slightly.

“Oh no I do no-“

“I’ve got it.” With that he took my hand again and we were on our way.

Wait a second, how did he just get away with sassing at me. Somehow, all my anger just when away. His hands were rough and had calluses. They felt like experience and smelled like the beach. I just wanted to take them and trace the pathways and ridges with the tips of my fingers.

I identified that we were in the part of the house that lead to some bedrooms, the den, and the kitchen. We headed towards the staircase that lead to the kitchen. I didn’t think anyone was down there until the soft laughs and voices crept to my ears. As we reached the kitchen, the lights were dimmed and the kitchen was completely clean except for a couple of trays of food if they ran out up stairs. At the island sat three guys on barstools and Callie stood across from them leaning on the counter with her elbows.