Chapter 7

Chapter 7. The last sunset

“Supper is ham and cheese sandwich with coffee!” announced Sally cheerfully.

  Clare and Nicole also looked around, smiling nervously.

 “No need to be so gloomy! I’m sure Mr. Brown would come soon!” laughed Clare, though her anxiety was obviously written on her face, as she helped Sally to fry the eggs.

   I sat on the chair of the dining table, my chin on my hand, glumly staring into space. Justin slid over next to me, pursing his lips. “You know…I know that he’s strong enough to beat her.”

 “It’s already been…like two hours,” I said, “and he’s not calling or coming.”

  Andy rushed in, snow settled on the shoulders of his black coat, his cheeks pale, and his black hair covered in wonderful, gorgeous white of snow. “Mr. Brown hasn’t called yet. I can’t detect his presence anywhere in New York.”

 “Perhaps that device is broken down,” said Clare, smiling forcefully, as she pushed Andy out of the kitchen, leaving him flabbergasted and confused.

 “Don’t you already sense the gloominess? Must you add to it?” I heard her snarl, raising her cooking pan threateningly.

“Fine,” sighed Andy, wriggling away from her grasp and glare.

“It already is night,” I said slowly.

“Yeah. Full moon, it is,” commented Justin.

 “Full moon!” I yelped, as I stood quickly, knocking the chair down.

All eyes turned on me.

 I dashed outside, to the couch, and glanced around.

“Ninety degrees away from the house’s main entrance…forty five degrees turn from clockwise…”

  I turned. A ray of bright moonlight shone on the ground. I lay my palm on it, grinning.

 “Show me. Ever-eye detector,” I said quietly.

  The moonlight burst into rays, brighter than the sunrays, and rushed into my iris. I could see…Rose laughing, father clenching his jaws, hear wailing, a swoop of a blur figure… The sounds became clearer.

 “…It prevents…”

 “…Future! -Alas!”

 “…Not impossible…too predictable…”

 “…Illegal…”

 “…Broken!”

  The visions flashed. Rose was raising her hand, her laugh vibrating throughout…father shaking his head… Then the vision changed. Their came a large, purplish figure-, which- swooped down on me, charging, a roaring sound emitting from it. I whipped my sword out, and slashed at it- when the figure vanished, and so did the sounds, only a scream. I looked up. I was pointing the tip of my sword at Clare’s throat. I lowered the sword, sighing.

   Clare glowered. “Do you always point swords at people’s neck whenever I try to help you?”

   I was too in a frenzy to joke around. I searched for the ray again, but it was to no avail. “Where-where-is it?”